Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

They Shall Know

They Shall Know

“They shall know that I am the Lord their God in that I have caused them to go into exile among the nations and have now gathered them into their own land. I will never leave any of them alone again, nor any longer hide My face from them.” Ezekiel 39:27, 28a


This passage is speaking specially to Israel about her future return from exile. God tells them that they will know that He is Lord based on two things: He caused them to go into exile, and He gathered them back to their own land.


This speaks to us about the character of God, and how we truly know Him. God had sent Israel into exile after hundreds of years of her idolatry. He had been patient, sending prophet after prophet calling the nation back to Him. Though there were occasional renewals of devotion, over the long run Israel fell into deeper and deeper idolatry.


Finally, after proving she would not respond to God’s invitations and warnings, He allowed Israel to be overrun, the temple destroyed and her people dispersed among the nations. In doing so, He was trying to open their eyes to the truth that He alone is God.


But He would not leave them there. God’s purposes in our discipline are for His glory, not our pain. In other words, He allows only the right amount of pain that will “bring us to our senses.” That is how He worked with Israel.


As Israel began to repent, God allowed her to return home. The final return of Israel to her homeland awaits a time still in the future. Again, though, that return is for God’s glory. As they return, experiencing God’s grace and mercy, they will know even better that He is “the Lord their God.”


I believe this passage is actually about the “return” God offers everyone through Christ. The final part of this verse says that God will “never leave any of them alone again.” Though we wish it were different, we know that not all of Israel is actually in her homeland. Not even every person who is truly devoted to God.


But, everyone who has returned to God through Christ is indeed never left alone again. In fact, that was God’s plan all along. The exile and return of Israel were pictures of the way God would finally offer a “return policy” to the entire world. Faith in Christ puts us right in the middle of God’s promise to never leave us alone again.


As we realize that God was involved, even when we were away from Him, and that He is definitely involved in our return, it is He who receives the glory. Following Christ is not about our personal comfort; it is about making known that “the Lord is God”. The promises He gives are not temporal, they are spiritual.


I am truly comforted with the knowledge that my “exile” was as much a part of God’s plan as my return. I am encouraged that I never need to doubt if I will be “outside” His circle of love again, because of His promise to never leave us alone again.


And, even better, verse 28 begins with “I will never hide My face from them.” We may try to get God’s attention through all sorts of spiritual contortions. It doesn’t matter if it is quiet meditation or sanctimonious stickling about morality, those do not bring us close to God. Only through the cross where Jesus atoned for every one of my sins do I find access to Him.


But, that access, exclusive as it is, is also absolutely free! It is by faith and faith alone. I believe what He says, “I will never hide My face from them.” I may need to quiet my mind to remind myself of that. Or, I may obey moral laws because my faith has changed my behavior, but His presence is a foregone conclusion when we trust Christ.


Father, I am grateful that You have been involved in all of my life. Even when I was so far away I gave no thought to You, You were still working Your plan in my life. You were waiting for me to say Yes to Christ. And now, having returned, I know I need never despair of Your presence. Your promise to never hide Your face buoys my spirits and leaves me speechless in praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.