Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

I Reach For

I Reach For
(“I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand and say to you, ‘Don’t be afraid; I will help you.’” Isaiah 41:13)

Before melodies reach the boundaries where snow and
summer meet
I reach beyond the arid breath for someone’s forgotten smile.

The heat of uncertainty and the chill of maxims
leave me shoeless to cross the expanse of cracked earth
riverbeds. The petrified trees no longer wave in the breeze,
while gray lizards examine the painted desert as if they had
imagined every stroke of the brush.

I have loved more and seen less,
have ached deeper and floated so shallow my legs
dragged the bottom of flooded ponds. It all depends
on the weather this year, or next. Or the invitations
to dine on a wraparound porch (which I would likely accept)

Except

By the time we arrive my pain beckons me back home inside.

But the melodies will not cease, though they are harder to hear.
The monotony increases the white noise, the silence creases my
affections in perforated sections torn by the distant vistas unvisited.

Shall I stay quiet and go along for the ride? And yet the Mojave and
its wildness
invites me to find the others who wander out of time. I might have
been inclined to join them, or climb the butte, or descend the canyon

before the criminal pain that squeezes me dry became my calendar
and clockwork.

How shall I appease the voracious cry for more than sitting inside?
How shall I embrace a dearest friend when I have only a few minutes to lend?
How shall I explore, discover, seek and find what I started as a mission
and now is stuck dry?

How shall I know that the hand I reach for has already reached for
and taken mine?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.