Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

There is More


There is More

(“Then Abishai said to David, ‘Today God has handed your enemy over to you. Let me thrust the spear through him into the ground just once. I won’t have to strike him twice!’” 1 Samuel 26:8)


It is true, the belly lies exposed.
His head still as night while the late fire glows.
There is more trauma than you know,
more caves that hide my innocent soul.
You have seen the spear pierce the doorway twice
within inches of my breathless life.
But I will not press my advantage here
before the sorry face that reflects only
stars and flames
here at rest before my feet.

How long does the piercing take before the
sainthood begins?
How long the weary suppression of every
song I love to write?

It is true, my judgments lie exposed.
My words shake like dice thrown for someone’s clothes.
There is more madness than we know,
more kings that chase some innocent soul.
We have seen beyond the inflated price
stuck upon the heads of breathless life.
But if I did press my advantage here
before the hoping eyes that borrow only
stars and sky;
won the day, night the defeat.

How deep does the weeping dig before the
morning is joy?
How far the pebbles in my shoe on every
shore I yearn to see?

And into another afternoon of waiting for
a voice still too far away to identify. Surely You
know
I wait only because
You promised to arrive before my
pain has taken its toll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.