Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Home Country

"A Home Country"
(“Now, people who make such remarks make it plain that they are looking for a home country. Hebrews 11:14)
We have had no snow this winter, no brilliant blanket sparkling
the night.
We have has as much rain as any winter we have rain, and we have
rain two days out of three during the winters when we have rain.
These are not the reasons I miss my home, I would live a lifetime
in a desert, rain-forest or frigid north. I would pluck out friends from
neighbors across the street or found in the corner café asking the same
questions I’ve asked since it entered my mind to ask any at all.
I miss my home (a place I’ve never visited) for its backyard that
can hold all the family I invite for a last minute bbq…bring whatever
you have.
I miss my home (a place I’ve not yet seen) for its fireplace that
functions as a pillow within moments after Uncle Ray has finished
his Thanksgiving meal.
I miss my home (a place I’ve not invented) for its music that
hi-fied from the blonde stereo with the Kingston Trio and
Peter, Paul and Mary before I discovered Iron Butterfly and
the Doors.
I miss my home (a place I fixate with a mixture of memories
and promises) for its music that
was taught on a piano bench later played like duets and a guitar
singing Beatles and Dylan and Blue Moon.
I miss my home mostly for the joy I miss here,
and the sadness I’ve tried so hard to overcome which will become
a place I’ve never visited. Now, truer than any address at all,
and melancholy only a memory now that I’ve arrived
at my Promised Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.