Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Smoky Midwinter


"Smoky Midwinter"
({The angel} said, “Do you know why I’ve come here to you? I now have to go back to fight against the angel-prince of Persia, and when I get him out of the way, the angel-prince of Greece will arrive.” Daniel 10:20 [The Message])
In five minutes a young lady will arrive to practice a
song we have only sung twice. “In the Bleak Midwinter”,
smoky, poet-folksy, melancholy and richly painted.
I fear she may be late, and fear she will fear the notes
unknown to her,
the timing stinging and fuzzy. And she will bashfully
sing to her toes forgetting her own beauty and
misty middle tones.
I’ll accompany her any way she desires, (although
I’d prefer sparse chords and timing so free it almost
sounds spoken.)
She’ll lead the way, we may need to add
a fifth beat here and there
to the straight time written.
It is time, what we agreed upon, and I do not hear her
walking down the hall. She is so much greater than her
self-written story.
But she just texted me she is on her way,
and she said “lol” when I texted “Yea!”
I am ready for us to play the artist to her vocal liberties
which I hope are
freer than ever with Rosetti’s words tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.