Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Good Company




"Good Company"
(“Jesus clearly did not come to help angels, but he did come to help Abraham’s descendants.” Hebrews 2:16)

I’m no angel and I’ve got a lot of proof,
my robe and wings having been removed
each time I attempted simple perfection,
a soufflé-like servanthood that nearly always fell.

I am happy for Your company, can You tell?
I’m not sure how to express it (though others will tell
me without hesitation the proper posture and sell me
a cd with the instructions.)

I am lonesome without Your company, have You heard?
Perhaps I misaddressed the card once again, requesting service
from another loner like me; with limited time, limited resources
and limited availability.

You are the life of my party, You’re always invited.
Join in any conversation, I mean it, in spite of my tendency
to trap the words and expel them with nuggets of personal knowledge
to show I need You less than I’ve told.

You can bring the angels with you, I enjoy the way they smile
when they look at me (and the rest of my kind). I enjoy the way
they smile at how much help we’ve needed, how little they could do,
and how simply You saved us sinking--I’ll use the old-time word now--
in the mire.

It was Your tears before You faced the terror that make You such good

Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.