Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Speak Up


"Speak Up"
(“He’s there from now to eternity to save everyone who comes to God through him, always on the job to speak up for them.” Hebrews 7:25 [The Message])

While I listen to the teaching exalting the One
who gives us more than we deserve, I am like every other
air-breather needing Spirit more than food,
and I need to ask for another favor though I merit
mostly nothing from again after lasting the befores
over and over again.

I can open locked doors, literally, without a key,
but I cannot find the combination to unlock the fascinations
false, and find the delivered smiles that will stay when the
rain will not leave, the sun will not face the earth
or my heart
while I need to sit a-porch for a single morning with
coffee and sunshine saying new things severing my
attachment to dreary.

I cannot open doors, truly, that hold the answer, the
glory bright, frightful, true and love. Passing myself off
as already reglued I gaze past the glances that wonder at
my progress, my prowess, my singular location.

But I’m scattered all over the globe, glancing past
each choice and repeating one again and again a year
into the work I needed to complete today.

Speak up for me when I cannot speak,
speak up for me when I should not speak,
speak up for me and I will speak
of the words that know every password to my heart
and rest my impulses as they slowly lose their beat
like the last refrain of a hymn fitly sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.