Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Back StageDoor




"Back StageDoor"(“Let one who serves Me follow Me; then where I am, there too will My servant be. If one serves Me, the Father will honor him.” John 12:26)
When You debuted in my life I happily followed,
frankly reading all the reviews that glowed about
the show and how the audience never went home
unsatisfied.

Don’t get me wrong, I wrote the same reviews,
and have changed few opinions about the quality.
I’ve simply come to realize that product placement
and glowing reviews were not what You sought
or what I thought You peddled.

You were good to me while I misunderstood,
and never changed the script to match my adolescence.
You still are my standing ovation, words,
dialogue, plot and climax from another world
and misinterpreted well by wooden ears.

Foolish as I am, I’ve stopped attending the show;
I’d rather find You where You are hidden in plain sight.
The show is pleasant and You are present as closely
as the alley after the show.

But I think I know why You take Your bows night
after night
thought we miss the point.

You send us serving, and find You post-performance
chewing the fat with the old man wearing holey gloves
just outside the stage door late.

It is the walk around downtown earliest morningwith You that turned my ear to hearing. When You
took your bows to be face to face with the suffering
who have no home.

I’ve stopped going to the show, I’ve memorized it already,
and can’t wait to meet You where You are Word and
worldly, feeling and healing the wounds just outside
the backstage door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.