Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wake me Mid-dream


Wake me Mid-dream

Wake me up mid-dream from the slowly building magma,
swim with me midstream or float or wade, just be the company
I keep because I’m either weary or lazy and it’s so late in time
I cannot tell.

Pull me out of quicksand sideways until I realize someone actually
has a hold on me. I have more to see than the dark-lit haze
of needful naps along the way. Take me down the highway
full of surprises before the road rises near midnight
and sets me down at listless.

Shake me up to just to remind me You are there.
Skim across the opaque pond, a rock skip into my pining.
Become the comrade I say when the late side of the day
tells all others to stay away.

Take a whiff of me like a rose, pull me out of the doldrums,
and remind me of the rhythms that play in the backyard
where the bees fly flower to flower, the pill bugs crawl into themselves,
and the mocking birds try to sound just like my dog.

There was nothing sad except I made it so, when friends were
best during day, and dreams were what we should play better the next.
Homemade kites out of newspaper pages and the man down the block
with a garage-full of railroads chugging in HO gauge.

Let my nap refresh me again, not the place I wish I was every moment
I am doing something else. Let me walk with a friend, smile leading the way,
pain the simple and occasional salute to frowns once accommodated,
now nearly outdated. Let me wake
to awaken alive like the living child who made
boats out of sticks to float down the gutter
after the summer’s first shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.