Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Unintoned

Unintoned

Now and then words come stumbling out,
over the tongue and teeth, past the lips,
free-falling like battle-leafs, grumbling from
sleepless eyestrain and prickliness,
crumbling on the floor

Of the hearts of those we truly love the best.

One word begins the barrage in hope of
a white flag waved,
and then the same word, a different word (same meaning),
a longer sentence (the same sentence twice removed),
then adding decibels to repetition our original mission
lies forgotten in the war room, while we resume our
insistence over again.

What often is worse, then and again, is the terse expectation that
our foe, our love, feels the verses we see, sees the worth we feel
and will nod vigorously at the first word of our hurt and trouble.

Trouble is we presume too much, and the words double back
upon themselves in the vacuum of assumption. What we knew
to be
conspicuous
is merely a
contagious
brew of emotions times themselves.

Let me start over, I mean ages ago,
so
I can bundle my words only once
with bows and ribbon
and leave my insistence in the bag
to crumble unseen, unsown, solo and
unintoned: noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.