Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Quieted Soul

“But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a child quieted at its mother’s breast; like a child that is quieted is my soul.” Psalm 131:2

What happens within you when the turmoil begins? Things are going along swimmingly. (What an interesting turn of phrase, by the way. I have no idea its origin, but, when all is well, isn’t like the peaceful backstroke on a lazy river?) Anyway, all is well; few ripples disturb your life. Then, from out of nowhere, Bam! The turmoil takes the roof off and dumps everything on you that its angry whirlwind has picked up along the way.


I’ve been there. Most of my readers know that until a little over six years ago I was in perfect health. Then, out of nowhere a constant headache began to plague me. After nearly two years of testing, prodding, appointments and groaning MRI machines I was diagnosed with New Daily Persistent Headache (NDPH). Without any known cause, it is a headache that begins on a given day and continues nonstop, day after day, without relief. The pain varies from patient to patient. Some experience moderate pain, others vary between moderate and severe. It is a nagging malady at best, and disabling for many.

The Lord has helped along the way, and so have many of His people. Those that follow my social network posts usually find my complaints every so often, and know it has been a particularly hard week. I also have joined a wonderful group of NDPH sufferer’s who support each other on Facebook.

You’ve been there, one way or another. You figure, “Ok, the headaches (or whatever is plaguing you) aren’t going to stop, at least not immediately. I’ve prayed, been prayed for, been prayed over, and, to date, the pain is unremitting. Ok, Lord, I’ll get by trusting You.” But, Bam! Along comes another stupid whirlwind, dumping a whole new batch of garbage into your already weakened life.

Maybe this time it’s a relationship issue; someone is being hurtful without cause. Perhaps it is a loved one who, brightly healthy one day, and merely a month later has succumbed to inoperable cancer. You lose your job, your best friend has turned on you, someone you trusted has betrayed that trust and caused deep pain. Now you think, “What is going on? What have I done that God is now shoving this next load of rubbish into my life? Lord, you know I was weakened already, and now; now, I have to say it, I feel shattered. What’s up?”

I wish I could tell you that I am a great practitioner at calming my soul. But, honestly compels me to say that is one area, after trying to follow Jesus for over 40 years, I still wrestle with. The tempests in and around me can disrupt me terribly. And, I’m sure many of my readers identify.

David says he has “calmed and quieted” his soul. Try it. Seriously, right now, while you’re reading, tell your “soul”, “Shut up!” Results? Not so great, right? Yeah, doesn’t work for me either. And, I don’t think that’s the process that David is talking about. Just like our pet animals rarely settle down when we yell at them, neither does our soul respond to a command filled with anguish.

So, David describes this “calm and quiet”; he says it is like a child quieted at its mother’s breast. The picture is an exact moment in time. It is not the moments in which the child is suckling at the breast. Indeed, a hungry baby is not a picture of calm and quiet in the least. The image David gives us is the fully satisfied baby, sometimes still moving its tiny lips, but perfectly calm, almost blissful.

I have only seen it a few times, but imagine suckling pigs. Maybe a litter of eight newborns ravenously fight for the sow’s two rows to teats. It is a fight for survival, a fight for grabbing sustenance before the source dries up. But, moments later, once the piglets have had their fill, they lay upon each other in a corner, haphazardly dozing without even a twitch of the previous clamor.

This is not about some sort of mental exercise that teaches us better self-talk. Although, knowing the truth that God will sustain even better than a mother does her child, should promote beautiful conversation with our soul. But, it must start with the reality of knowing that, with the Lord, we are safe. We are secure, though the tempest rages. We are in His arms (or “Her”, in this image). What baby cares, or even knows, that the family is bankrupt? What child, fully content in her mother’s loving grasp even sees the lightning or hears the thunder.

So, when the turmoil is dumped upon you take your soul into the presence of the God who provides. Your soul’s sustenance comes from God, not from the world around you. Let the storms pound your life, you will be protected. In fact, one of the names of God, El Shaddai, often translated “The Almighty”, is thought to come from a Hebrew word “sad”, meaning “breast”. God, the Almighty, is the “Breasted One”. He/She is Provider of everything you need.


Let your soul be content, dear one, in the bosom of The Almighty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.