Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

No More Shut Doors

(“And they say, ‘The Lord does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive.’” Psalm 94:7)

I wonder how many Christians actually live like this; going about our life as if God doesn’t actually see or perceive what we are doing. Oh, I don’t mean the usual drinking, smoking, drug addiction and other illicit activity we like to shake our fingers at. I do remember, though, from both parents and preachers, the “eyes of the Lord” being a big incentive to refrain from diving headlong into uncharted sins.


That isn’t what is on my mind today. What I am concerned about is the way we treat people who have failed, or who we simply have a problem with. I know one pastor, asked to resign over a particular issue (and rightly so). The pastor did not fight the situation, and tried to show humility and repentance through it all. But, they did need to stay in the community for a few months while the pastor figured out what to do next. In the meantime his daughter graduated from eight grade, and the church he once pastored was honoring their graduates. They were told, in no uncertain terms, that the girl could not accompany her friends at the ceremony. Her dad messed up, but she was harmed! (I’m not sure the young pastor’s daughter would have attended anyway.)

I would like to see that conversation on judgment day. Jesus: “Hello sir, welcome to heaven. I see your name here in the Book of Life. I understand you were a successful pastor, and went on to be an administrator as well.” “Yes”, my Savior,” he would reply. “I am grateful for the years I could serve.” “Yes, I see. But, my brother, do you remember a girl who graduated from eighth grade? No? You remember her father, who resigned? Yes, now you remember. Good. I have one question, my brother.” “Uhm, yes?” the pastor tentatively responds. “Why did you shut the door in her face when her friends were being honored for graduating? Do you think that was what I wanted? Did you even ask me?” “I prayed about it.” “No, my brother, I asked, ‘Did you ask me what I wanted?’”

I know another time, friends for several decades, when one man spoke out of turn, jokingly. Memories are fuzzy at this point, but, though the joking may have been a bit derogatory, the purpose was simply “good ole boy” teasing. Let’s call the “teaser” John, and the other fellow Greg. John had started a church and Greg had visited a few times, speaking as well as spending time with John’s family. Greg had led John’s wife to Christ back when they were both in high school.
John was having coffee with one of Greg’s parishioners who he had befriended, and the statement in questions happened there. What John meant in fun got back to Greg and Greg took it very badly. John felt horrible once he found out and approached Greg several times to make amends. Both personally and in emails over the next ten years, John tried to repair the breach. Instead, Greg ignored every approach and demanded no contact with his family.

Again, I wonder what will happen in heaven. First, Jesus approaches John. “Welcome, son. I understand there is an unresolved issue with yourself and a brother. Bear in mind, those are all wiped away here in heaven. But, I must hear from both of you before I allow you in.” “I understand,” John replies. “I am deeply sorry I offended Greg. I spoke out of turn, joking words that wounded him. I never meant it to be that way.” “I know,” says the Lord.

And to Greg. “My brother, welcome.” “Thank you Jesus. I hope you like the church I founded for you, and all the people we led to Christ, and all the mission trips we went on. Boy, it was a lot of work, but we made it!” “That’s all wonderful, Greg. But, you have a brother. I know you are hurting. But, Greg, you buried that hurt, and then carried it in you for over a decade. Not only that, you rejected the attempts that John, your brother, made to express forgiveness.” “Yeah, that dude had no right to hurt me!” Jesus: “No, he didn’t, Greg. But, you shut the door in his face. Did you ever ask me if I wanted that? Do you think I would have shut the door in your face?”

One last scenario. Two pastors are discussing the dangerous topic of politics. The older more conservative pastor has heard through the grape vine that the younger pastor voted for President Obama. “How could you ever think to vote for someone like that?” The truth was, the younger pastor had never said who he voted for. A mutual friend had once asked him, “How can Christians vote for someone like Obama”, and he gave various reasons. But he never said who he personally voted for.

So, upon the basis of gossip, the older pastor begins to send emails to the younger pastor, full of demeaning and belittling statements about the president. Full of half-truths and full-blown deceit, they surprised the younger pastor, thinking His elder would not stoop to the angry diatribes of some of the more mean-spirited actions of the far right. They had a brief email exchange in which the younger pastor tried to explain why the “facts” in the email were untrue and unfair to another human being. After two or three exchanges it was obvious the older pastor could not even conceive a believer would vote for Obama. “Do not ever contact me again,” said the pastor. “No contact!”

I’ve heard more than one Christian say that people who voted for Obama will need to repent to Jesus on their hands and knees. I really don’t mind who people vote for, as long as they are respectful about another person’s reasons for their vote.

So, in heaven once again. The older pastor approaches Jesus, “Did you see all my work against non-Christian legislation, and the church I built from nothing and pastored for almost 40 years?” “Yes, son,” Jesus replies. “You worked hard. But, do you remember…(and he mentions the young pastor’s name)? Did you tell him never to contact you again?” Maybe a little red in the face, the older pastor mumbles, “Well, uhm, yes.” “Look, over there. He stands waiting for you.”


It is high time Christians start acting like the God of Jacob is watching! I’m not the only one with bruises. And, there are those who dearly want to know about Jesus who we make unwelcome if they do not fit in. In some churches it is homosexuals, in others it is the poor, in others immigrants are looked at with upraised brows. Whoever they are, the doors have been shut to them. And we will one day answer to Jesus as well. “Brother, why did you shut the door on them? I never shut a door in anyone’s face. Look, over there. They are waiting to talk with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.