Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Brief Fog

A Brief Fog

(“By his knowledge the deep waters were divided, and the skies dropped dew.” Proverbs 3:20)

Whatever ideas I had when I awoke, half of them have disappeared with the dawn,
and the fog has cleared to prod a new list of names,
a package of choruses and refrains,
and the same old untamed habits that keep me isolated
on the island inhabited by my sweet wife,
two dogs (one our own, and one a sometimes visitor, our daughter’s very own
“Daisy”; a sweet Chiweenie),
one cat and

My pain.

It visited one Thanksgiving Day, forced the couch underneath me,
with the weight of an iron TopHat, I stayed flat on my back and missed
the first invitation for turkey, gravy and the best homemade cranberry sauce;
and six Thanksgivings has come and gone; the uninvited visitor is now
a nuisance and not a guest.


Days like these I would drive to the refuge, watch for the deer,
follow the lines of seals and sea lions swimming upstream.
Like fallen logs their nostrils bounce above the water line,
sniffing like dogs for a bone. Sniffing for salmon to bring
home (hated by the fisherman who net the salmon to bring
home.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.