Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, September 1, 2022

To See Invisibility


 To See Invisibility

(“The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother or sister is in the darkness until now.” 1 John 2:9)

When I was a child I thought
invisibility was the greatest super
power.

I could egg friends’ houses unseen,
tickle the girl on the playground,
tackle the guy with the ball out of nowhere.
Shenanigans would abound without
having to sneak around.

But today I would rather
see
the invisible. I would see your
song long before I heard the melody.
I could see the scars on your soul
that you never show
and see the truth in them,
the truth only you know.
And I would sit with you in silence; we would
see each other’s words.

I would watch the sky
and see every ray of sunlight;
waves dancing in unnamed colors,
particles spinning under and over
every wonder. A leaf, a tree, a cloud, a mountain,
a butterfly, a bunny, would
all be
one
in the spectrum of invisibility.

I would look at the footprints of my
ancestors and see
their muscled pain, left there unsigned,
a cairn,
a guide, to bind all yesterday-tomorrow
in a single unseeable point of time.

I could see the brain waves of the hummingbird;
metallic red,
and three.
Dancing above and beyond the trees and me.
Like the Aurora Borealis their instinctive thoughts would
light up my eyes.

I would not be surprised to see
that you, so distant in time and geography,
have wished the same thing too;
to see the unseeable soul and
love it like your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.