Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

I Made a Pilgrimage


I Made a Pilgrimage

(“He led them with a cloud by day. And he led them at night by the light of a fire.” Psalm 78:14)

I made a pilgrimage to find god or
some other unfunction the world had begotten.
I climbed the sand dunes, I separated the leaves of every book,
I listened to the radio, I evaluated every halo and hook.
I scanned space past the asteroids, I peered into DNA,
I learned the bark of the neighborhood dogs, I learned their names as well.
I drove by a few churches, I read their signs advertising spiritual delights,
I noticed some were under new management, I noticed some made no boasts.
I drove round the river bends, I stopped to watch the salmon climb,
I watched the horizon burning, I breathed the ashes from distant fires.
I called a friend, they did not answer. I left a message, they did not call.
I sent thank-you cards, I sent flowers by mail.
I sent photos of my children, I sent selfies as well.
And I waited for the light to explode,
I waited for the cloud to overflow.
I waited for the sun to move across the sky,
I waited for the rain to blow under my tent and tell me why

I need wait at all.

I went to the doctor to test my blood,
I went to the preacher to fall under sudden conviction,
I went to the teacher to learn my lessons,
I went to the hillside and hoped heaven would be in view.
I lay down in the grass, I was weary at last,
I needed another reliable silence to finally fasten
the springs and winters of my past to
the present where my heart beat too fast.
The hideaway was tucked between a dive bar
and a craft store
and so I decided

To find God there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.