Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

No, I Would Rather See


 No, I Would Rather See

(“Look! He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, including those who pierced Him.” Revelation 1:7a)

If you look with the back of your eye
you will see the solid tree that has stood
for decades in your yard
is full of atoms and space. What we see
depends on
eyes and brain
and everything else we have been taught
about how the world should be.

Can clouds be the medium where the divine
paints the beginning and end of all things? Or
is that only for our marbled vantage point?
Visions are written over midnight musings,
dreams keep the isolated company when banished
to islands full of caverns.

Lately I’ve wondered how our thoughts become
so concrete that
the must be jackhammered to be
broken. While the clouds shift like ocean foam,
opinions become dehydrated remains of something that
once was joy in new wineskins. What shall we see if
all we have to offer is the dregs?

We have become religious wrestlers, pay-per-view
tournaments of cage match philosophies. I’d rather
be laughing at a potluck picnic with
agnostics, heretics, sous chefs, and preachers
than be confined to the corners of cinder block orthodoxy.

But who am I to talk (I would rather see),
who am I to make my thoughts the new mastery
with syllabi and mystical syllogisms
proving the points that may be debunked tomorrow.

No, I would rather see. And know, although language
would escape me, that beauty is better than definitions
and love is fuller than solidified catechisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.