Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, September 30, 2022

Like Leaden Headbands


Like Leaden Headbands

(“And her Son was taken up to God and to his seat.” Revelation 12:5b)

When the pain imprisons like leaden headbands,
when the darkness terminates the journey just begun,
the rainbows flee,
the sun hides like a child in trouble,
and the thoughts in your mind have nowhere
to escape.

Rains may clear it,
winds steer the day to a neighbor’s flower bed.
Or your body, empty as the tin man,
listens to the echoes of the jail keeper alone
on your bed.

Friends do what they can do and send
a sentence or two. But from their mouth to
my mind
the context is scrambled and I can never decide
when the seasons may steal the inchoate words away.
Steal away to Jesus.

I have no doubt Christ is alive. I have no doubt about the
Spirit who imbues my lockdown soul. And why
I
should exist with the thumb screws tightened around my brain
escapes my reasoning.
I have no answers,
though some tell me I do. More to the point,
some tell me they have the answer. I only wish their answer
included donuts and coffee,
or soup and wine,
or a rollicking good time playing folk songs again.

I am glad for prayer. I am thankful. But you cannot lay
hands on
someone from behind a computer.

I know one day the locks will be opened,
and I shall wait as I have. On second thought,
could you please,
send someone,
to open,
them,
now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.