Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Knocking Down Hurdles

“You must be willing to wait without giving up. After you have done what God wants you to do, God will give you what He promised you.” Hebrews 10:36

I had one significant misunderstanding about track and field until late into my teens; I thought that a runner had to jump the hurdles without touching even one. Imagine my surprise to see runners actually kick a hurdle or two over, yet continue in the race. I thought there must be some sort of penalty. But no, you could kick every hurdle down as long as you went over them all. Of course, it slowed your whole race down quite a bit, so it made sense to leap across without touching them.


Sometimes we can think the hurdles in life are enough reason to give up. Or perhaps we imagine a life without hurdles for those who obey God the best. Most of the people I’ve met who have done great things are also those who have endured the most obstacles. So, the writer of Hebrews encourages us to wait out those tough times without giving up.

I am reading a biography of the lauded guitarist Doc Watson. Born blind and brought up in the backwoods of the Appalachians during the long depression of the 30s, one would think he had little chance of living a normal life. But, due to a great talent for music, a father who encouraged him to try anything he set his mind to, and a mindset that there was nothing that could stop him, he rose to fame as a brilliant musician. One is touched, though, not by his fame, but by his great heart and generosity.

His peers tell story after story of his hospitality. Even when he stilled lived in poverty, making do in a tiny two bedroom shack in the hill country; he and his wife would welcome musicians to stay with them for weeks at a time. From their meager gleanings, they always put out the best spread possible. The well-known singer Maria Muldaur was one who the great guitarist hosted. A native of New York City, she was amazed at the door Watson always had open, even in the poorest of times.

That heart of generosity was forged through years of trial. Though he was turned down by one radio show after another because of his blindness, Watson never allowed himself to become bitter. Instead, he kept playing, busking for nickels in Boone, NC, playing at dancing and listening to every musician who came through. His tenacity eventually led him to play with the fame duo Earl and Scruggs early in their career.

Five years ago I was diagnosed with New Daily Persistent Headache. I am never without pain. I go to sleep with my head on fire and wake up not wanting to lift my head off the pillow. Yet, I want to tell that pain that it will not define my life. I will not turn back because I have a new hurdle in front of me.

Yes, I may have to take life much slower. I may not even make it out of the house on the most painful days. But I will not stop. I still pastor a church. I hate the idea that I am hindered, but pain is not the winner, Christ is. I may have to lead the congregation Jesus has assigned in a new way. I may not be able to attend every event in town, or may need to excuse myself early. But, I am still in the race.

Someone asked me recently how this pain has affected my faith. That is a very complex question, and not easy to answer. But, if a constant headache without any relief is enough to cause me to turn back, then what has my faith meant up until now? Am I to tell God, “Listen, I’ve trusted You through financial difficulties. I’ve fallen and messed up far too many times. I’ve seen great success as a pastor and endured failure. But, sorry, Jesus, this headache is the final straw. You were good up until now, but this headache seals the deal; I’m out!”

How silly would that be? After having walked with Him for over 40 years, sometimes side by side, sometimes with Him carrying me, often with my feet dragging in the dust, why would I allow a physical malady to change my faith? But, I would be less than honest if I didn’t admit it has caused me real struggle.

Will there be a time I can no longer work, no longer pastor a church? I do not know. What will happen, how will I provide for my family if that happens? I am not sure. But we all face questions like that; perhaps not as the result of a headache, but we do confront the “what ifs” of our own journey.


Keep waiting, dear friend. Keep trusting. God only asks you to do what He wants. He isn’t looking for heroes or for miracle working magicians. He is looking for people who stay in the race, even when they have knocked every single hurdle over. God wants people who will trust Him, holding out to the end. Even if you are lapped more than once, and you finish late into the evening, Father God still waits at the finish line, along with all those who have gone before. He will welcome each one who, though the race became difficult and weary at times, refused to quit, trusting the grace of Christ the same as they did at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.