Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rejoice; the Almighty Reigns


“Hallelujah! The Lord our God, the Almighty, has become king.  Let us rejoice, be happy, and give him glory.” Revelation 9:6b, 7a

There have been more interpretations of the Book of Revelation than the number of church denominations throughout history. Whatever I write today will have as many detractors as those who say “Amen!” Whether we view the entire book as a tome of future events, an extended metaphor about Christ and the Church, or some combination of the two, there is blessing attached to its reading. “I’m coming soon! Blessed is the one who follows the words of the prophecy in this book.” Revelation 22:7


But, when I read the glorious outbursts of praise, the hallelujahs, the glorias, the songs and worship attributed to those around God’s throne, I pause, put down my theology, and tell my heart to enter the same state of mind. When John wrote what the angel showed him, the church was enduring constant persecution. If believers’ lives were not threatened, their careers and families certainly were.

To hear “The Lord…has become king” gives me hope, because the “present” king seems to be the mighty one at the moment. Caesar not only ruled Rome, but the known world as well. He was not merely a political leader, but also the religion of the realm. Obedience to Caesar was tantamount to obedience to God.

How often we need to be reminded that “The Lord our God, the Almighty, has become king.” It changes our perspective. As follower of Jesus, we move from fear to hope when we hear these words. We see, presently, so little evidence of the Almighty’s rule. Wars take the innocent, crime destroys lives; anger, resentment, violence and lust line up in battle array with the appearance of inexhaustible resources. We make progress in one area, one conflagration is finally put down, only to see another rise in its place.

We comfort ourselves with the knowledge that some day God, the Almighty, will be king. Yet, if we are honest, that feels like such flimsy comfort. How, indeed, can we call Him the Almighty when it appears that evil continues to win the day? Don’t misunderstand, I am not among those who think it was so much better “back then”, or who think that the world is so much worse today. This is the way of human history, not only our present experience.

God is exceedingly patient. He woos us with His eternal love. Like incorrigible children, we take advantage of His kindness, often ignoring the offer of mercy He brings. But, let us once see the cross for what it is, God’s mercy in terms we can comprehend, and we begin to change our view. God does not force our hand, He will not, at this point, simply exert His power and rid the world of evil.

For the time being He establishes His kingdom in outposts planted in the middle of enemy territory. He plants His followers as rays of light in every dark corner of the world. Little by little, as followers of Jesus obey the great command to “Love as I have loved you”, the world observes the better way lived on the battlefields of life.

The more I say “Yes” to Jesus here and now, the more I experience the Almighty as king. There will be a day when that reign will be absolute and all-encompassing. My own submission is less than I desire. I fall prey to the inner assaults that tempt me to return hurt for hurt, deed for deed. I forget what it means to follow this King. You see, when I am certain that God Almighty reigns, I can calmly and resolutely stand fast for the Kingdom of love, no matter how dark it may be along my path.

God reigns now, do not be afraid. Evil seems to win the day only because of God’s sovereign patience. There is no power greater than the Almighty. I can respond with rejoicing. I can be happy in troubling times. And I certainly can give Him glory. I know my Redeemer lives. I know He rules within my heart and within His church. Though not perfectly obedient, He loves His church, and has chosen her as His expression in this world of how His reign is expressed.

So, wait in hope for Jesus’ return. Anticipate with joy the final reign of God Almighty. And, until that day, let us live out our commission as subjects of His mighty kingdom of love.

2 comments:

  1. God Almighty, with Christ at his right hand, does reign today in faithful disciples who live in the love Jesus revealed. As for the churches, that depends.
    In Revelation, which magnifies truly divine power, the problem was that most (five) of the seven churches were wandering after false prophets and messiahs (like Caesar, or rich and powerful "Jezebel"); they are called to repent and return to their first love. Only two churches are facing persecution, and that is from a "synagogue of Satan." So when churches today are comfortable with the powers that be around them, and the American dream they offer, then Christ (the true king) stands at their door and knocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus actually is knocking on each church's door; it is their response that matters. Notice which church of the seven that Revelation 3:20 refers to.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.