Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Table for Two, Please


(“Listen! I am standing at the door and knocking! If anyone hears my voice and opens the door I will come into his home and share a meal with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20)

A long-standing discussion starter is the question, “What person, living or dead, would you like to have dinner with?” Sometimes the question asks for the “top six” people, or asks you to put together a dinner party from five to 10 of your favorites. When asked as a poll question, Jesus Christ invariably ends up in the top 10, usually in the top five.


He would be my top choice, for all the usual reason. Since I have attempted to devote my life to following Him from the age of 17 on, I wouldn’t mind getting His feedback. Now that I am in my 40th year of this journey, I also think I am much more comfortable with the idea than I might have been earlier in my faith. Having re-understood His grace in the last couple of decades, I do not fear exposure. I wouldn’t want the whole conversation to revolve around my missteps, but I do not fear His disapproval.

I am sure that Jesus would be quite frank about things in me that He found displeasing. After all, He is the one who said that if we loved Him we would keep His commandments. I know for a certainty that, like a dresser covered in dust, the unkempt areas of my life will be obvious. I have neglected certain matters of housecleaning that I find more disagreeable than others.

At this point in my life, though, I would not fear admitting my failures to Him. (At least, not as much as other times in my life.) Not only because I am confident of His forgiveness, but I have also learned the value of a clear vision of myself, flaws and all. I come from stubborn stock. My father knew the power of strong denial; my mother of distorting truth just enough to fit her preconceptions. Of course, those were the flip side of sturdy faith on my dad’s side, and a natural ability to empathize on my mom’s. My wife and children will have to tell you how much of each I have inherited. I hope their testimony also includes my attempts to escape the darkest parts of my inheritance.

I really have only two options when it comes to Jesus. I can treat our relationship as master and servant, ticking down a to-do list from Him and hoping I’ve completed more tasks today than yesterday. To do so recognizes His right as Lord to expect obedience from those who decide to follow Him. Our dinner conversation would center on hopeful achievements, and embarrassing failures.

But, I can also relate to Jesus as an intimate. I cannot think of another English word to use. “Friend” is far too broad, meaning everything from an acquaintance to a confidant. Even though we don’t call people “my intimate”, I hope, for these thoughts, it works. As intimates, we share at the deepest level, without fear of reprisal, but also with the utmost respect and honesty. Jesus told His disciples He no longer called the “servants” but “friends” because now He was letting them know everything the Father told Him; intimate sharing.

“Intimates” is what I believe is pictured in this famous verse where Jesus knocks upon our door. He says, for those who hear His voice and open the door; He will sit down to a meal with them. An invitation to share a meal was an invitation to close friendship in that time and culture. We see Jesus personally arriving at our own home, knocking and calling out for us. He wants us to invite Him in to share a meal.

This goes far beyond a prayer that says, “Jesus come into my heart.” I do not mean Jesus will refuse that simple prayer, but Jesus is speaking of something richer, deeper, and more transparent than we usually associate with this verse. Used in tracts to describe salvation, or by preachers (like me) to explain how to “receive” Christ, we have pigeon-holed this verse. Having made it about personal salvation, it is easy to dismiss any other reading of the verse.

Jesus does want us to “invite Him in”. In context, though, Jesus is talking to an entire church of His followers; telling them He is knocking at their door! It makes me wonder how much of my “churchiness” leaves Jesus on the outside. How many assumption have I made about what it means to follow Him? Have I assumed His followers all vote the same way or have the same opinions about social issues.

What if I were to actually invite Jesus in for a meal? What would He say first? What would I say? Which would be more important to Him, my position on abortion, gun control, welfare, homosexuality, or the poor? I am positive that, among the spectrum of believers, you will find those issues weighted differently from person to person. But, how does Jesus feel?


I don’t ask that as if I have a ready answer. That is one more difference between how I view a meal with Him now as opposed to several years ago. Then I would have been fairly certain I knew which issues Jesus was concerned about; now I would rather listen more carefully to actually hear from Him. I want to discover Him, not what the books tell me He wants from me. I want to know His heart, not what one branch of His followers insists He is like.

I think the church has become so comfortable with certain practices and beliefs that we hardly are aware of distinctions between them and Jesus Himself. When He threw the money changers of out the temple, everyone there thought God was happy with the way things were going. These money changers made it possible for people from outside to exchange their money so they could buy sacrifices. Didn’t that help them worship? Didn’t that help those people come closer to God?

The money changers had become part of the fabric of Temple activity. Having done so, they were accepted as part of God’s plan and purpose. It took a violent act from Jesus to open people’s eyes and jar them awake to the truth.

I hope He doesn’t bring a whip to our supper, but I do hope He opens my eyes. I am more convinced of His compassion, grace and mercy than at any time in my walk with Him. I am also less fearful than at any time, and more open to hear His correction. When once His correction sounded like criticism, now I know it as the love of an intimate who knows me well enough to speak truth to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.