Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Path of Love


“This is the teaching you have heard from the beginning: We must love each other.” 1 John 3:11
One of my least favorite phrases is, “I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.” Don’t get me wrong, the dislike probably has more to do with my inner psyche than the words themselves. But, on some level, it seems they usually come at the end of an argument where two people not only will not budge concerning a subject, but also attach some judgment about the other person based on that opinion.

“I understand your position, even though I don’t think I am yet persuaded”, just sounds more respectful to me. Or, “Even though I don’t think you’re right, I promise to give some thought your opinion.” If I tell you that we will just have to agree to disagree, I am also there is little possibility I will even consider your thoughts on the subject.
The core of the issue is mutual respect. I have a dear friend, an “inner circle” sort of guy, the one of few with who I can completely be myself. (Whatever “myself” happens to be at the moment.) We also disagree on a couple of very emotionally charged issues. You know the type; issues that get plastered all over Facebook and begin a “comment war”. Scroll to the end of the 134 or so comments and you would swear these people think opposing views come from hell itself. Yes, he and I disagree on one or two of those types of issues.
But they have never affected our relationship. I respect his opinion, and, when I’m in the best frame of mind, am willing to think through the arguments he makes. I am certain he does the same with me. More importantly, if someone tried to attack his character based on his opinion, I would be the first to his defense; and again, he would do the same for me. This sort of mutual respect is a component of the teaching we have heard from the beginning; to love each other.
 On the other hand, I have Christian friends and acquaintances who don’t think twice about attacking the character of those with whom they disagree. It is “baloney” that another Christian could hold a view different than their own. Christians who hold such views need to “repent to Jesus himself.” I know I am not alone in hearing Christians use such disrespectful language.
John says that loving each other is the teaching we “heard from the beginning.” In other words, it should be the first and foremost characteristic of those who follow Jesus. When we speak of Biblical values we need to be sure that loving one another begins the list. It is the highest value, the most sacred, the most holy and godlike of all virtues. Every opinion and doctrine should be tempered by it. Every conversation should be bathed by it. Every action should be impelled by it. Every prayer should be empowered by it. And every post to a social website should unmistakably represent the highest command we have been given.
Jesus told us that that highest command is to love God completely and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Paul says that all the commands are summed up in this simple command: “Love one another”. In their last meeting together Jesus makes sure His disciples understand love’s significance when He tells them His “new command” is to love each other as He has loved them. Jesus’ example is the measure of the love we are to show.
Some will say, “Well, didn’t Jesus call the Pharisees names? He got angry and it didn’t sound like He respected them much at all.” That observation is absolutely true, and it would do us good to ask why Jesus used such strong language with them. In short, these religious leaders were laying down rules left and right and making it excruciatingly difficult to follow God. Jesus says they loaded people down with burdens and wouldn’t lift even a finger to help them.
Jesus’ anger was ignited by religious people who tried to keep others away from the intimate love of God. So, if we are going to use Jesus to excuse our own disrespectful language, we better be sure we have His motivation in mind as well. His angry language was reserved for those who made religion a class system of people “loved” and “unloved” by God based upon their performance.
While we must take stand on moral and ethical issues, let our love always lead the way. When prioritizing our causes, let the love of God be the deciding factor. When discussing opinions, especially on emotionally charged subject, let us be known for the love and respect we have for those who disagree. May our disagreement about an issue never deteriorate into disrespect for a person.
The teaching we have heard from the beginning is to love each other. May it be the first thing that we as followers of Jesus are known for. God poured out His love while we were still His enemies. Jesus willingly died on the cross, forgiving the very ones who put Him there. Having faced horrible abuse and the suffering of the cross, Jesus still forgave. The Roman soldier at the foot of the cross watched Jesus die without spitefully railing at His accusers, and forgiving them instead. So foreign to human experience was Jesus’ response that he was compelled to say, “Surely this was the Son of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.