Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Whole Picture


The Whole Picture

(“I will turn you around and drive you on.” Ezekiel 39:2a)

Jigsaw pieces scatter across the wind with one landing

in an opinionated lap, others on babies, some on scholars,
and half lost in the scraps waiting to be recycled on the evening
news again.

Let the highlights ignore the commas, let the soundbites bold case

the dramatic bits until no edges are left to orient the pieces
on our card table come Thanksgiving and Christmas.


That is why

I never buy
jigsaw puzzles
at antique stores.
That is why
I hope to buy
Leon Russell
at Tower Records
or another vinyl store.


“Mama, I cannot tell what color the little girl’s eyes are. The piece is lost

between twisted bookcases or couch cushions with seams unraveled. Mama,
can you help me? What color do you think the little girl’s eyes should be?”


Magog will attack, with Rosh right behind, miniscule references to

Moscow and Russia. Though linguists note no equivalence, some teach
by rote the day-by-day play-by-play of the last days countdown from
10 at 70 AD to 1 at nearly now.


Today I’ve noticed the air is crisp, skin-thin frost on my windshield,

a jacket across my back. Soon we elect the next in line to preside
over a country fat and rich, poor and suffering; hungry for bread,
a bite of truth; aching for work, a portion righteousness, decency;
simple dishes made in the country, chicken to pot, kale to sauce,
and a simple prayer before we eat that thanks Him who created
our feet to fit the earth we walk, our hands to caress the fruit
eat, and our minds to ponder all the truth we can wonder about


Him who created the jigsaw

complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.