Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Washing my Face


Washing My Face

 (”Then he washed his face, got a grip on himself, and said, ‘Let’s eat.’” Genesis 43:31)

I never expected you to bring this up so many years after,
I never expected you to be so sensitive.
I told you then, and I tell you again,
I only did what I thought was right
and no, I will not politely say I’m sorry it hurt you
anyway.

+I knew you would think me weak
+stubborn or troubled, bitter or twisted
+to bring up the issue a dozen years later
+that you never took kindness to address at the time.

I know your kind, you keep squeezing and squeezing
until one small drop, one dollop of tubed apology tops your
dessert that has nearly melted with the waiting.

+And I know your kind, the kind that will not bend, a knife in the wind,
+and will only make my second and third attempt to turn your head around
+more reason to suspect I never lived up to your
+unblinking standards.

Standards are standards, and you broke them.
You want my grace but you hate to give to others.
So you push me and push me (why would I admit
wrongdoing when I only did what I thought was right)
despite whatever pain you say it caused
my hands are clean; you’re the lawless one.

+I’ve admitted, bowed, taken the blows,
+each misstep I admitted, scraped and cowed; you know
+all this. And, to try my grace: apologize.
+I have no hidden agendas, no moral alibis,
+but would mouth a simple “Thanks”, though late,
+the unabated, ‘sorry the wounds bled more for actions”
+would receive grace and more than was sent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.