Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Like Fire to the Friend


Like Fire to the Friend

(“Jesus gave Himself to rescue us. God showed us this at the right time.” 1 Timothy 2:6)

I want to run like fire to the Friend who shines
so sharp the sun fades way. I want to rush like water
to the Lover who fills so full the
rivers look dry. I want to gust like wind to the
Hero who wisps so sure the hurricanes
lose their names.

I am poor, I am needy weakness, I am sore, I am solitary abandon,
I am long on requests, short on answers, quick to share my certainties,
slow to list my failures.
Quick to see yours, (finger pointed silently), dim about mine,
(letters written defensively).

What I mean to say, what I’ve always said, is I’m sure I’m a sinner,
as sure as you are one too! It’s the sinning I find hard to admit to,
the daily habit of missing the mark. I will hide my mistake
year after year, while confessing my sinfulness bleak!

I need to fall like fever into the Hands of the Healer
so precise surgeons mime His work. I need to sleep like
a second son next to the Father whose purpose is complete.
I need to stand like a man in remission, disease and death
conquered
by rose petal strength,
reclaimed
by creation-length hope,
restored
by resurrection rule.

I hear the call of the Music which sings
so honey and milk I stop all I am writing,
my muses go to sleep,
and I am loved like Love in all its softness and clout,
by the Brother, Mother, Father, Son;
all-in-one…three-in-all, fully above me,
around me, below me and in me. The distance once eternal
has been closed by redemption’s rugged smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.