Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

To Wait Until


To Wait Until

(“At once Jesus asked them to come with him. They left their father in the boat with the hired workers and went with him. Mark 1:20)

It does no good to wait until more favorable times
when following is freer from questions about
whether I will follow well or succeed at success at all.

I wish there were patterns for promised infatuations
(there were more than a dozen hobbies I never stayed with
for more than a year).
I wish there were recipes for baking a life just the right amount of time
(I’ve left out more ingredients than I’d like to confess).
I wish there were seminars for messiah-following
(oh…there are, I’ve attended dozens).

I could brag about all that I might have had; boats and extra cars,
dinner reservations and vacations anywhere I please.
I might boast about how quickly I ran after the Voice that
ran after me. But there is no credit in following
such compelling attraction, nor in giving away
what I never intended to have; beside regrets,
and those I would give away freely to the first asker
with no price, delivered promptly, to their front door,
postage paid, no handling charges. I’d even wrap them up
in Christmas paper I bought for next year’s holiday.

It takes me twice as long to name anything a success
as it did when I had people coming out of closets,
clients making payments, and invitations to digress
about current reservations. I used to run after You
and now my feet ache from bone-spurs. I used to
think so clearly about God and His country
and now my head aches with an incurable disease.

I had hoped by this time I followed You better,
but not nearly as well as my first week out of the cradle.
I could say I’m still working on this or that,
but I’ve worked longer than I should have for such
simply variations from the norm. I’d rather be silent
in my daylight, alone with my night-light, and
hope I’d followed well enough to come home

Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.