Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, June 13, 2011

There is Liberty

There is Liberty


(For my daughter Sarah, upon her High School graduation)

(“For the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty.” 2 Corinthians 3:17)

You are a dancer, always have been one,
a performer first given a stage at home,
the mall, the gym, the theater, or friends with
a handycam reenacting the girls’ version of
Huckleberry Finn.


You loved to move while others watched,
applause was worth the cost of crinoline petticoats
and bumps on your socks that rubbed your toes
in all the wrong ways.


Stage fright tore at the four year old
who loved the dance and hated the fear,
mascara was replaced after the scary tears
receded long enough to attach the wig with
curls in place. But take the stage and the smile was


On

Ready to lead as the perfectionist took off.

You are Daddy’s dearest gift, a daisy, a delicate flower
learned to clean-lift her own weight and more.
And the happiest times I’ve ever seen you
are when you are lost in music, in love with the
moment God has given you, without thought of
the finished product or the decibels of applause.


Play your music, Princess; make it up as you go along.
Leave the precision behind, never mind the notes you miss.
Insist upon joy, mastery consists of freedom and excellence
in perfect tandem; precision and abandon writing your
latest dance of liberty.


I will still watch every note you play, hear your steps
(even miles away), and know the cries you make just
before curtain
are because you’ve studied your best
never want to let your own effort down.


I will still stand first at your finish
(you remember how I called out “Sarah” at every parade)
and be the ovation that leads the rest of the world
to know the girl I know. She is vulnerable as the field daisy,
as tough as barbells lifted overhead, as certain as a scholar,
and tentative as a newborn. All the best I’d hoped, bundled
in the tiny frame of the daughter gifted my by Father above.


I wish I had prayed more with you, taught you the Scriptures well,
led you to a steely faith that never feared hills or bends.
But I see, with all my weakness, the image of Jesus in your eyes,
and know you have learned the best part, apart from my
shyness about familial indoctrination.


Now fly, liberty lady, for Jesus is the Spirit within,
and never fear the curtain unveiling the next act
(unrehearsed) of destiny’s production.
You are product of love and intention;
take them and soar as the Spirit leads you
to play like you’ve never played before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.