Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, August 11, 2024

The Shortest Sentence

The Shortest Sentence

(“I will boast in the Lord; let the oppressed hear and rejoice.” Psalm 34:2)

There are days meant for reflection when we wait
to meet you at the station. The ground is long between us,
the air is stretched thin. The longing for absolution,
the craving of love with the proper inflection.
There are days when the rain brings pain,
the atmosphere has shifted again and the pressure
pushes the blood around in my brain. I have no one
to blame but the creator of it all.
But then I see you, eyes that have seen deeper within
my soul
than anyone I know. You make me feel the way I’ve always longed
to feel, the way I think we all deserve to feel.
And you do it all with your own pain front and center,
you do it all as sweet as summer grass after the rain.
I’ve confessed more to you than anyone I know.
I’ve admitted my prayers seem useless.

We might sit on upholstered armchairs in a room
in the bookstore where all the children’s books are
shelved. We might choose a dozen and leaf through them.
We might discover some things that
are just meant to be, like the touch of a hand,
hopes intertwined that say; I share the love so
the pain will not win. I share the affection that
keeps the anxiety at bay. And we would smile that night
at the secrets we know, the secrets we never share with
anyone else.

The only time we ever lie is when we say, “I’m fine”
when asked. I’ll tell you the truth next time if you will too.
Sometimes we say it with rounded sounds to make us believe
there isn’t much wrong. But the pain is the same, whether
we tell it or not.

We would know, sitting there among the stacks,
the inflection really said, “I need you” (we fear to
admit it.) We would see the truth in each other’s eyes.
Softly I would stand and give the simplest wink to the shortest
sentence of sadness: “I’m fine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.