Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, August 11, 2024

Oh Home That I Knew

Oh Home That I Knew

(“Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be moved.” Psalm 55:22)

Oh home that I knew;
Oh yard with weeds higher than my waist;
Oh sunshine that kept us California tan;
Oh days so old, I will never get them back;
I would lie in the sun forever back then.
I would answer the phone never knowing who called.
I would walk barefoot on the asphalt
by summer’s end. I would write reams of
poetry about unrequited love.

Oh young man goodbye;
Oh brain full of ideas that transposed;
Oh songs full of borrowed chords and melodies;
Oh front yard laughs, I will never get them back;
I can still hear the hesitant teenage angst.
I would walk by your house and hope to see you there.
I would ride 10 miles on my 10-speed
to see you smile. I would even name poems
with your name in the second line.

I carried a hundred pounds on my back,
I waited a hundred years for your glance,
I wanted some kind of freedom, some brand of freshening air
straight off the bay. I wanted to ride
on the sailboats the rich folks owned.
I wanted to tell you why I was so shy.

Oh burden I bear,
Oh heavy words that weight me like sand;
Oh moonlight that deceived me on the front porch;
Oh fancy dancers how memorized the songs;
I would unload this accumulation of grief,
I would call on the phone to ease your awkward mind.
I would drive the two miles to your house
by the end of the day. I would write it like
a letter and leave it to lighten your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.