Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Between the Hills

Between the Hills

(“But as for me, my prayer is to You, Lord, at an acceptable time; God, in the greatness of Your mercy, Answer me with Your saving truth.”  Psalm 69:13)

I’ve given up just a moment before I
grasped the boiling point of water. So high on
Everest
the water bubbled nearly on its own.
Sometimes I wonder if timing counts at all,
sometimes I beg beyond belief for an answer we
all can appreciate.
I wrote down every request and believed it until
I was too old for it ever to happen. My vision
might be blurry looking so far ahead. I thought it
was faith, but it was probably just a
figment of my imagination.

I wrote it in the flyleaf of my Bible,
I wrote it full of belief. I wrote it when
I had nothing to show for
myself but a few notes on the piano.

God did not answer, and I felt unworthy.
His servants ignored me or took me to lunch
and lauded me with their uncomfortable questions.
No, I did not finish my meal.

So here I am, a thousand miles and a half
divorced from the soil that germinated me.
My soul is sore with sorrow. My memories have
not changed
even though the landscape points to a hidden place
between the hills on the river shore. Now I
don’t want to be remembered; I want to
walk the boards on the stage, write the blocking
in the margins of a newly minted play, and wonder
if the troupe will be at rehearsals on time. I want a
festival artfully filled with folk tunes under an Autumn moon.

God is not my debtor; God owes me nothing at all.
The rain this morning turned to sunshine by the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.