Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, September 16, 2023

The Cassock-Robed Crow

The Cassock-Robed Crow

(“God is a safe place to hide, ready to help when we need him.” Psalm 46:1 [The Message])

The cassock-robed crow presided from the fencepost
surveying the field as I drew near. I inched closer and
it barely noticed my feet on the asphalt periphery.
Could I get the shot? Would it stay still for a photo,
a close up, one I would not have to digitally zoom?
10 feet, then 8, then 6 and 5,
I stopped and aimed my camera. Before I could
blink, he was away. The sky was a better refuge
than an exposed piece of wood.

Do you remember days of comfort? Do you imagine
sanity in the sun with
no one
to interrupt your mediations after an overrun of hours?
You never heard the footsteps, did you, never sensed
the sightseer who would try to steal your soul.
You thought there was safety out in the open. You
dreamed this place was better than
all previous somewheres. You were caught unaware.
And your heart wanted to fly like the crow to a
flock
unreachable in the sky.

We would rather stand in the open with the sun on our face.
We would rather smile at the sound of whistling behind us.
We would rather slow the pace, erase the distress that makes
our pulse race when the song we forgot keeps circling our head.

Hide for a second, peek your head inside my window. I’ll
put away my
camera.
I’ll turn off the music. I’ll ask you your favorite wine.
I’ll ask you to tell me the time when you wanted to run
(like I’ve wanted to run).
I’ll empty the moment of everything except
the aroma of old books that makes you think of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.