Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, September 9, 2023

Sweetly Chastened

Sweetly Chastened

(“Do not be afraid, people of Zion; look, your king is coming, seated on a donkey’s colt!” John 12:15)

The breeze snuck up on me like the girl in
third grade who kissed my cheek and then
ran away.
I don’t remember her name. But I remember the
spot on my face where I blushed. I remember the
coolness on my forehead where the breeze stopped
me for just a moment.

I used to dream of kings. I used to dream of answers
that would solve household dilemmas. I used to dream
of days sitting on Crow Flies High Butte where you could see
upriver all the way to Montana and
hope I would see God.

And now I live on another river. I am Washington on one side,
you are Oregon on the other.

I used to speak like spirit was algebra, I used to write
like God was like the boulder the river erupted around as
it bent its way to the sea. I used to sing like the
answer could be found in
a secret chord and a name that, mentioned just once,
would bring all the horrors of nightmares to their knees.
I could cast the demons out of everyone else but
me.

I lusted for authority.

In Sacramento they trim the palms two weeks before Easter.
Five years in a row I gathered them so children and grandparents
could shout “Hosanna”. And then go vote for Republicans a few
months later.

In Minneapolis the pulpit thundered and a thousand people
were berated for
not being more like the donkey that Jesus rode upon, not being
willing to be his beast of burden.

Today I sit sweetly chastened. I am ready to meet the king
who drives a vw van. I am ready to meet the prince who walks
on the sand. I am ready to meet the lamb who subdues the lions
that undo the work of the Spirit. I am ready to be, more or less,
unknown so that

The king may be known in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.