Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, August 22, 2022

I Never Did Like Roller Coasters


 I Never Did Like Roller Coasters

(“Most of all, have a true love for each other. Love covers many sins.” 1 Peter 4:8)

I never did like roller coasters,
my fears mounted as the car clanked slowly to
the top while my heart raced faster than the last
loop whizzing through the electrified air. In fact,
I called out my eighth-grade girlfriend’s name as
if she were a deity ready to catch me. I was in Tulsa,
she was in L.A.

I never did like roller skates.
I could coast well enough, stopping was the scary
part for me. My knees scraped the concrete when I
put on the brakes. Never mind trying to skate backwards,
all my best friends could.

I never did like solo obedience.
The tight fit of the iron box pushed all the air
from my lungs.
Yet, I pretended well. No, I pretended sincerely.
I watched my friends sin easily. I watched others
wear their morality with courage. I could do neither.
But, when you are at the top of the roller coaster hill,
your options are limited.

There must have been someone who hugged me
when they saw my ashen face depart the coaster car.
There must have been someone who removed their skates
and held my hand to walk on the sidewalk downtown.
Could there be someone who saw both my
mask
and my
face
and still shared our mutual disgrace? There is not room
in the crowded box for another body,
but another soul might fit quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.