Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, March 8, 2021

Why Do These Tears Come Unbidden?

 

Why Do These Tears Come Unbidden?

(“Salt is good, but if the salt should lose its flavor, how can you season it? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with one another.” Mark 9:50)

Why do these tears come unbidden;
the day is full of quiet and life.
Both my sorrows and splinters ache to be heard,
while I keep silent, leaving the world to guess at the
unspeakable.
But my eyes know my secrets the best,
and speak only in water. The salt they shed
only leaves me thirsty
for something more than a mannequin,
someone clothed with blood-infused skin,
arms to float my whole self in
like the Caribbean
warmed and clear.

There is no hole in my heart
shaped like anything: god, friend,
success or smiles. It is too full,
overflowing and never empties itself before
the tides replace yesterday’s sorrows.

A hug full of sweat might replace
the tears that have watered the sad
and sunny years. From all appearances
there is nothing troubling to be seen.
But if my mouth spoke of the errors and
regrets
that have boarded my windows and
buried my assets so deeply below the
foundation of everything ever offered,
the day would sink even darker and my pain
would never cease.

Sometimes boasting and begging aligned like
an eternal eclipse. Sometimes the aching was
the blackest hole, the bottom of the abyss.

If there were one or two; no, there needs to be three,
so my bets are not hedged, I would tell them everything,
write it out, let them read it, then burn it on the fire of
a snowy day.

If those three would remember, more than scores of years
from now,
not to mention what only the eyes can speak, and
give attention to the day when

All things being equal

I spilled the contents of memory before I
finished my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.