Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Answers Writ in Childish Script

 undefined

Answers Writ in Childish Script

(“So I tell you to believe that you have received the things you ask for in prayer, and God will give them to you.” Mark 11:24)

I was too weak to have any faith left,
I was too weak to see things in ones and zeros.
It takes a resolute mind to binary the wonder out
of the wonderful,
It takes a granite heart to up and down the spiral
eternal.

But I had slept in past noon all week,
and had slept past my best life the whole decade before.
I asked and asked for pain to work its way through my being
to show the strength the Almighty promised.
I prayed long before that for simple wellness or
general anesthesia to let me finish my journey.

(Though, truth be told, I may not have made it to the end
anyway,
with my broken toes, stumbling feet, and distracted heart
that kept me from playing first-string most of the time.
The ownership is mine.)

But still I cried. And my requests were denied. Longer
days with the pounding in my head outpacing the
beating of my heart. I would vow to begin, to start
an hour earlier from my bed. I would promise to wait,
to shed the last vestigial organ of doubt, knees keenly
placed on the floor. I would capture the playing blocks
of faith
until they spelled out my name.

I believed well enough decades ago and the rain stopped
before the downtown gospel show could begin. I believed
just as well
a decade later and the rain was unrelenting on our baptism
and burgers by the river.

I measured myself (didn’t my crew measure too?) I
measured
myself
by answers writ in childish script
in the drying sidewalk pavement. I wanted
it as concrete
as the stories the fellas told in retreats renamed
“advances” (who could take a chance with such a
faithless title?)
Do not think I am angry, do not think I am snide,
I just know what I heard, but also what I saw inside

And finally understood the mind is more supple than
we imagine. Oh, miracles happen.

But my brain still hurts like the dickens, like hell,
after a decade full of prayer (and do not tell me
I have not believed). Unrelieved I cried myself to sleep
last night;
unrelieved I began another day

And wished I would not have to begin another.

And still
I
love
The Name
more than I can say. Though silence is my answer
(Jesus, where O where are the hands and words of love)
though silence is my answer
I will not apologize
for these raging questions and this dead end
I despise.

Dots and dashes may serve an old code well,
but I need elbows and eyes and fingers. Where O
where
Jesus
are the incarnate ones to bring you close to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.