Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, October 1, 2020

I Saw a Silver Kite

 

I Saw a Silver Kite

(“Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4)

I saw a silver kite fly high above the crimson sky.

I saw a battle gray army tank rising from the sea,
all creases and rivets, with teeth like a shark.
It folded itself high, assigned itself heavy and indestructible,
sucking in its prey, pretending to shred them serrated
and break them spread out upon the sand.
But, once it landed like a white-capped old man
it all was water, only water, and disappeared from the sand
again.

I heard the pack barking between sea and shelf
once the workmen started building the beach house above the waves.
The hammers pounded nails while the lumber echoed across the water,
each strike a woof and cry that canines took for language.

I watched a tiny butterfly, creamy and white (not a quarter inch wide)
continue its flight plan unhindered. The breeze
lifted its fairy wings above seaweed, above algae,
above breakers mistaken for monsters. Undisguised,
I might have missed her; airy and transient. And closer
I might have resisted the urge to make her alight upon
the leather flesh of my hands.

And in my latest dream I had done everything wrong, (a common
theme). I was running from the law.
My co-conspirator, dressed like a sheriff, rode shotgun and
held a rifle to my chest. When I awoke

I went downtown for blueberry crepes and latte.

I have seen kites fighting for space in primary colors
beneath the silver sky.

The dogs still bark while green waves deceive us.

Some see the rioters and disdain their grievances,
some hear of them and invite them to dinner.
All I perceive is Jesus reaching out to them,
His hands and feet swollen with splinters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.