Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, October 23, 2020

"Get Over It"

 

“Get Over It”

(“He made no distinction between us and them, for he cleansed their hearts through faith. Acts 15:9)

I remember when a friend told me to get over it,
a friend who never knew what it could be. “Get over”
the wounds of my doing or
the bullets from the guns of comrades in arms.
Get-over the masks that pretended to be pretty
until they saw
the ugly in me.

And in telling me to
get over it
they only
added to the shit
that piled high as the steeples of a
country village church.

(Although I lied when I said there were
reporters outside the door.) The only ones who knew
or wanted the truth
were those who had dropped their stones to throw
a long time ago. Their pockets now empty,
they moved through life with an ease that accompanies
the lightness of those who have eschewed judgment and
chosen love’s pervasive brightness.

Oh, believe me, I’ve gotten over many things. But some I still
burrow through. Some I need a boost; bend now and let me
stand upon your knees. While some are still a necklace of mud
drying in the heat.

Where has salvation taken you?
I remember softball when your daughters told their sisters
to drop the ball when the boy with a limp rounded the bases.
My soul is as pained as his ankles.

Though my limp worsens, I would hasten to your side,
even if you had lied about what hurt you. Be silent or
speak, without judgement I would seek the way the
Spirit talks in comfortable rhythms; She knows the path
to every lineage of pain woven between heart and mind. She
forces no rhymes, but, in freedom, in grace, in truth, gives space.
I would compose no rebuttals,
but hope to be the vessel to contain your pain
until we both are visited by the peace, the dove,
the carefree goose who saves us from enslavement
to rigid stories that require a fairy-tale ending.

My story is messy, grimy and tear-stained.
My story is painful, timely, and unstrained
by requirements of strict interpretation. “Get
over it” sometimes frightens me from the oil
that can only be poured on open wounds.
I am still hoping to round the bases with the help
of a few errors from my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.