Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Some Recitations

Image result for "colossians 4:2" some recitations

Some Recitations

(“Keep praying. Pay attention when you offer prayers of thanksgiving.” Colossians 4:2)

I woke with my face frozen in hot anxiety,
the result of hard dreams between fitful waking;
a conflict, a comrade, the nightmare lasted only moments,
but went on well into the night.

I woke with time emptied; full of iron and snow,
unknowing and dissonant angles meeting like arrows
shot from the basement of my brain toward full consciousness.

I woke with my face leaden but wanting stained glass panes
between the outlines of the day. Where do I take my complaints
when pain repeats itself like half-tone chords in percussive polyglot?

I left my place in faith and now it feels I’ve climbed the apex of foolishness.
I stay a few steps from home while my mind wanders the prairies and
rivers,
the buttes and blizzards, the pow-wows and county fairs,
the dares and know-how of a more convinced mood and time.

My mind wanders to the places where I sat with friends the best,
ate their bread, drank their coffee, laughed, cried, argued-prayed,
relied on their couch, drank of their confidence, and occasionally

Doubted together what we so loudly professed.

I am thankful for the slim faith, the uncertainty and shyness
that kept us begging for heaven while planted on the ground.

I am thankful that gravity was heavy today and kept the atmosphere
so close I could smell each molecule, feel the air of a birdwing leaping
from the peak of a roof.

I am weary today and should be thankful I have no jobs to do,
no schedules to keep. But I can’t keep from thinking that someone
will pop by, lie back in the chair and just say

“I needed this.”

I am thankful God does not take my melancholy as a sign of
diffidence,
but merely the way I’m made; the way His hands molded the
folds and fissures of my brain. There is a chance of rain,
the summer weighs more than the spring, and life keeps on
rolling past my expectations.

I am thankful some recitations mean simply what they mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.