Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, June 22, 2019

So Talk to Me


So Talk to Me

(“Are not five sparrows sold for two small coins? Yet not one of them has escaped the notice of God. Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Do not be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows.” Luke 12:6-7)

And so I suppose, against all odds,
despite swamps and tears,
I must be in my Father’s care.

Fastened to this turning ball by
the weakest force,
the fridge is stocked,
my clothes are washed,
my hair is combed,
but the weak force is too strong
to escape to the place where
my heart would be full.

I’d call someone, but tears would flow,
or I’d compose myself and report “I’m fair”
though I’m caught in the doldrums with
the slow carousel of days turning ‘round me
while I wait for a sign of His affection.

Here I am, this hour of this day,
and, though I’ve sat among friends
with my feet in the ocean,
I confess, tears would flow whether
warming on crowded beaches
or stuck in the suburbs watching
strangers walk by.

My heart has always ached; I wish there was a remedy.
My hand has always shaken; I wish no one could see.
So talk to me, speak the words that will take me home.
Write me poetry, sing to me, hold my hand until it sleeps
silently.

I read of love and wait for the Father to meet me at the mailbox,
to call my on my smartphone,
to knock on my door and
just one time more,
fill my heart as full as

Everyone else’s seems to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.