Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Unusually Kind

Unusually Kind

(“The people of the island were unusually kind. It was raining and cold. So they built a fire and welcomed all of us.” Acts 28:2)

Why did it take an outsider, a resigner, a former resolution-signer
to mention the faults that second and third story men had committed?

Why were the liars allowed to speak, allowed to right in pen and ink
words recorded, classified and filed forever? One such deceiver, on
good word from his perfection’s daughter, said a certain pastor was
caught drinking (oh my) champagne at last weekend’s wedding! No
one mentioned the pastor had not attended, oh, and his daughter had
meant another man instead.

Why were men whose prayers could put you to sleep with their length,
but spoke only staccato in with fresh breath or defense, why were they
listened to, having found, behind the house, vacated a year before,
weather-beaten and full of snow, the old men’s magazine no one reads.
Why did the father of us all bring it up two years later
with conversation volume
in the midst of a restaurant meal with customers ahead, behind and
left and right? His only comment: “You never eat much when we talk.”
Not knowing what the hell he was talking about, I could only gulp. The
man who found it, accused me, attached it like to my forehead like
nails to a tree, could not find room for even a private apology.

I have been treated kinder by men who never meander the maze
of pews in our houses of the holy; sometimes prayers are offered there,
thanking God the quarterback of the Seahawks completed the final reception.

I am sick of love at first and rejection at the last. I am tired of perfection
that is as suspect as I was made to be. I am sick of love, lovesick, and
unsure it is found, heaven or ground, apart from the love of a wife who

Knowing all, has healed me from death to breathing, slow, yes, but:


Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.