Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Christian's Motivation

“For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.” 2 Corinthians 5:14,15

It’s been said many, many times over. The thoughts are not original to me at all, but it is important that we keep this topic up front and center. “The love of Christ” is the nucleus of Christianity, the circumference of Christianity, and the unchanging premise of Christianity.


Yet, ask anyone in the United States to define “Christianity” and the responses will be any of a dozen answers, without once referring to people who “know that Christ loves them”, let alone people who “are controlled by the love of Christ.” But, from Jesus’ words, to Paul’s proclamation here, to the Apostle John in his letters; the love of God in Christ is the recurring theme, no matter what other topics may be covered.

But, in both word and practice, many Christians seem to have forgotten these things. From demanding the Ten Commandments be posted in every public place possible, to calling curses on people with differing views on abortion or homosexuality, some have hijacked the love of Christ and held it hostage to their own political and moral agendas.

The Ten Commandments are important, far too many abortions are performed in the United States, and people can make a reasoned and loving interpretation from Scripture that homosexuality is not within God’s plan. But, disagree with some, on either side of the aisle, and you will be call names and even assumed you cannot be a Christian at all.

A pastor I have known for over 30 years recently asked me why Christians voted for Obama. A mutual “friend” had assumed I had voted for him, and told this pastor the same. The conversation with the mutual friend was actually about Christians who voted for Obama; I never disclosed my ballot choice. But the pastor assumed I had voted for Obama. (For those who must know, I voted for McCain in 2008, and Obama in 2012.)

After trying to explain to my very conservative pastor friend that Christians could morally and in good conscience vote for Barak Obama, he began to use epithets like “stupid” and “idiotic” when responding to my explanations why some Christians voted for him. There is no room in his theology for a Christian who voted for the “Muslim-loving” fake. After three or four email exchanges he said, “It’s over Mark. You are cut off. I do not want any communication from you at all. I will read nothing you write to me.”

Yet, if I were to say that, as I understand Scripture, I cannot yet say that homosexuality is acceptable, I will have people from the more liberal ranks insinuate things about my Christian character. I have heard the phrase “homophobe” used against dear brothers and sisters in Christ who truly struggle with this question, but feel they cannot move away from the classic interpretation that homosexuality is forbidden by God. So, on the one hand, an Obama-supporter is no longer saved and no dialogue is open. On the other hand, one who is deeply compassionate but just cannot accept that homosexuality is allowed by Scripture, is suspect by another class of Christians.

It must break the heart of Jesus. Paul writes that “the love of Christ controls us”. There are a handful of core beliefs that are central to Christian belief; the nature of Christ, salvation through the Cross of Christ, His death, burial and resurrection, to name the ones that immediately come to mind. The closed mind that cannot allow a brother or sister to disagree on something outside these “core beliefs” and still maintain fellowship, is one I have never been able to understand.

As long as there is the least bit of question about a particular issue Scripturally, I will make up my own mind with the help of the Holy Spirit and the historicity of the Church. But, I will also allow that, though Scripture is infallible, my interpretation can be very fallible.

My friend who shut off communication with me will be standing one day in eternity. I do not know who will go to be with Christ first, but I do know we will both stand before Him. I really do not relish answering the question: “Now, what was it that kept you two fellows apart down there?” Before Christ, apparently they do not separate us in His view.

Paul says that “one (Christ) died for all, therefore all have died.” If my faith is fully in Jesus’ death upon the cross, then my old self is dead. I am a renewed human being with the Holy Spirit of God indwelling me. At the same time, though someone may disagree on an interpretation of Scripture about different social issues, they are still my brother or sister by the same faith in Christ.

I will boldly speak out for the things I believe are right and true, but I will make room for the possibility of my own errors in logic and reasoning. I will deeply love every believer, though we may never come together on certain issues. When I said “yes” to following Jesus as a 17-year-old, I began a long journey of faith and thought. Now, 42 years later, my core beliefs and not changed, and have grown stronger. But I have gone through a few transformations as far as different interpretations or social issues are concerned.

Can we learn to see that because One died, all therefore have died? We have been given a huge draught of grace from God’s Son, how can we refuse it from those who also call upon His name.


One last thought; those who argue for limited abortion or for homosexual rights are not looking for a way to excuse sin! I am deeply convinced of this, after having many talks with people on all sides of these issues. They have thought deeply about these issues, and hopefully continue to do so. Let us grant at least the same integrity of thought to others that we believe we also possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.