Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Like a Golfer Shanking

Like a Golfer Shanking

(“May the Lord be with you, as he was with my father.” 1 Samuel 20:13b)

Noticing the way the wind came up so quickly and
watching how the clouds were gray bow ties coming in for the night
the only thought I had was how I could find some peace
from the friend of 30 years who because my house’s floor plan
was not exactly like his, moved me out of the neighborhood.

Watching the light seep in far too early in summer,
and noticing the little dog snuggled in the spot behind the bend in my knees,
the only scene I could watch was one more person who
received the invitation,
left the rsvp on the table,
and missed the party of a lifetime.

Christians, we are like my mother who only saw the pimples on my face,
and tried to pop them with the index fingers of both her hands! She wanted
a beautiful boy.

Noticing the way I watch the beautiful go by, turn my head,
follow their gait, and wish my suits fit so well, my arms so muscled,
and my nose less pointy. Noticing the way I glance at the blemished,
look back down at the pavement, miss eye contact completely,
like a golfer shanking his drive into the opposite fairway, and
wish I was more instinctive to


Befriend more the least of these, in whose eyes dwell
the Man so lovely, and the beatific Presence of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.