Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Home

“Whoever does the will of God is My true family.” Mark 3:35

Robert Frost wrote that, “Home is the place, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” For those with healthy family relationships, there is nothing truer. Yet, we know many homes that are so fragmented that “home” holds little warmth for some people. Though loved by his own family, even Jesus experienced complete misunderstanding by his mother and brothers. Thinking him “out of his mind”, they came to convince him to return home.


Jesus’ response sounds almost ungrateful when someone sent word from the crowd that His mother and brothers were there to see him. He answered, “Who are my mother and brothers?” Then, gazing across the crowd, He said, “You here, are My mother and My brothers. Whoever does the will of God is My true family.”

We must hear Jesus’ statement carefully, lest we imagine the adolescent intonation that wants to run away saying, “You never were my family, anyway.” Though Jesus may truly have been hurt to think He was so misunderstood by His own mother and brothers, He is not rejecting them in favor of others He hopes will treat understand Him better and treat Him more nicely. His words hold great comfort for anyone who, for whatever reason, does not have a close-knit family to fall back on.

Or, at least, they should hold great comfort. In theory, those who follow Christ should have a stronger bond of love and affection than even our biological families. Without sounding too skeptical, it is important to admit that many have not experienced what Jesus is describing here. There has probably been as much hurt administered within the church as in dysfunctional birth families.

For those who long for a richer experience of loving relationships, the church can often be a huge letdown. We hear people disowning the “organized” church because of such hurts and discouragement. The answer, of course, is not a new and “disorganized” Christianity, but one which, as Jesus describes, “does the will of God.”

I think our dissatisfaction is warranted, and needs to be addressed. But, perhaps we also are looking at it a bit askew. The relationship we have with each other because of obedience to God is secondary. Jesus emphasizes the family relationship we have with Him as a result of doing God’s will. This ought to comfort when even the church lets us down.

There is a great deal of work that needs to be done in today’s Christian culture. Many books have been written, blogs dedicated to, and groups formed to try to address the dysfunction that exists in the 21st century North American church. New models of leadership and relationship are forming that function more like family than like a corporation or institution. For some, used to pews and hymns, or even couches and worship bands, these innovations may feel quite uncomfortable.

I truly hope that some of these forms of church will help us better realize the family structure that reflects Jesus to the world. But even if not, it prevents none of us from re-casting our own relationship with Christ. When we feel that longing for the warmth of family, we have a personal invitation from God’s Son Himself to enjoy a home where He truly will “take us in”.

My family of origin had its flaws. My father was a bit distant, my mother moody. They bickered so loudly that I remember their fights reverberating through the house after we four children were in bed. But, at least into their divorce near their 20th year of marriage, they loved each other. And, the adored their kids. Bragging about any of our accomplishments was at the top of their conversation list with other adults.

My mother died almost 20 years ago at the age of 52 and dad passed away just five years ago. Now that they both are gone I feel the pangs of loss more deeply. There is no parent left to call when I want to talk something out or brag about my own kids. Jesus truly does fill that empty spot. When He says that those who do the will of God are his “true family”, I am glad I can talk things over with Him.


No matter the shape of your earthly family, there is an offer from the Creator of everything. To hear the Son of God we can be part of His true family is astounding indeed. I wonder what would happen if I kept that in mind when I am longing for home. And, what would happen in my relationship with other disciples as I consider they, also, are part of this family formed around Jesus’ Himself? Structures may come and go, but the relationship Jesus offers will always be the bedrock of the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.