Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Full of Unknown

Full of Unknown

(“I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy.” Psalm 116:1)

Everything I did was in the shadows, all my works reaching in the dark;
Few spotlights, hardly in the news, less interviews, and never published:
words or tunes, doctrine or views.

I could swear I never sought fame, took the tiny venues, memorized one acts
while better located friends chewed the scenery. “I could have been”, I said,
“on at least a local marquee.”

Yet today, a single college child spoke, an atheist, a soft anarchist and
unwitting iconoclast; smarter than most, taunted by many who claimed the
Name, who walked the Way. She tiptoed through the four year stares of
the church-going few who knew, atheist views, she was danger, and took
their turns wide around her down the halls. A living, breathing, lovely,
masterpiece of heaven; made to sit alone by the holy, afraid of getting dirty,
and left her lonely, four years. But she walked, she swam, she limped, she
jammed her pen into her notebook to keep from biting clear through her lips.

How do some, with no thought of God, love His people more dearly than those
who claim a first row seat at the Jesus Circus when it comes to town.

How do some, who talk so close of God, ignore His people, the doubting, the
clowning to cover their fears, aches and fiery nerves. All they want is a seat
somewhere
where they can be loved for who they are.

I love the Lord, He loved me. He laughed at my certainties.
I love the Lord. He reached me. He spoke through, even, infidels.
I love the Lord. He called me. He opened the skies, not answer my questions,

But to begin the First Act, pointing to my name card surrounded by
names of little and some, large and then, visit and phone, who, just once,
or labored in tears, would sit with me


At the Banquet full of unknown, fully known.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.