Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

No Masks

 “When Moses came down from Mount Sinai carrying the two Tablets of The Testimony, he didn’t know that the skin of his face glowed because he had been speaking with God.” Exodus 34:29

It is often said that couples begin to look like each other the longer they are married. It is even suggested that people also start to resemble their pets. I have a dog, a cat and a wife, and I’m not entirely sure how all that works out for me. My wife and I have known each other for over 40 years now, my dog six years and our cat four; so I suspect my wife has had the most influence.


It seems does seem reasonable that two people living together for many years will unconsciously begin to mimic mannerisms, gestures and speech patterns. Or, maybe it is people under 30 who make that observation because everyone over 50 looks “old” anyway. Whatever the case, we are undoubtedly influenced by those with whom we spend much time.

Most parents desire to imprint at least the positive aspects of their own character on their children. Already carrying their parents’ physical features, children usually continue strongly held familial convictions as well. I was brought up with a dad who loved watching football. Though he and I are both small of stature, we love the game.

Neither of my sons caught the bug, though. I sat alone watching my beloved 49ers and Cowboys through most of the 80s and 90s. That was just fine, of course, they both are devoted to other strongly held passions. When Sarah was born, though, I decided I would raise her to love football! Though she would point at the television screen and cry “Foo’ball” whenever a game was on, she never became an enthusiast. Although, now almost 21, she is developing an interest in the game.

I don’t think God was interested in turning Moses into a CheeseHead in Green Bay or part of the Twelfth Man in Seattle. Having spent 40 days alone with God on the mountain, something about Moses did change. When he descended with the two stone tablets that contained the Ten Commandments, Moses’ face was radiant because “he had been speaking with God.”

There is a discernible transformation in the life of any man or woman who habitually “speaks with God.” Though I am glad for a renewed desire for “spirituality” among many in our post-modern culture, the one draw back is the impersonal nature in which it is referenced. Seeking more peace and contentment, or more success in business, meditation, yoga and even prayer are touted as ways to bring our “self” into a more relaxed and confident way of being.

As commendable as these things may be, we can miss the point altogether. Moses wasn’t seeking some vague spirituality; he was spending time with a “Person”. The Apostle Paul refers to Moses’ experience to show how Christ even more greatly impacts the lives of those who follow Him.

Moses would put a veil over his face because the glow would eventually fade. Yet, it was so glorious, people weren’t sure how to approach Moses. Paul reasons that if the “old way” which fades was glorious, how much more the glory which lasts! The time Moses spent with God evident by a supernatural glow; Christ within those who follow Him is a light which always shines and never fades.

Beyond that, as we regularly spend time with Christ, we are transformed into His likeness more and more. (See 2 Corinthians 3:18). The world is longing for reality. Oh that Christians would be known for being like the One whom they follow. Scripture promises it as part of the normal experience of those who know Jesus.

I do not want to wear a mask. I don’t want one to keep people from seeing that I don’t have as much “Jesus-glow” as I attest to. And, I don’t want a mask that is just a caricature of Jesus while my “real face” underneath is still full of my old and shadowy self apart from Jesus.


Jesus, I want to do a scary thing. I want to take off the masks. I want to be like You, and the only way is to spend time with You. Help me to learn of you more and more. Let Your beauty shine forth from within this longing heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.