Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Overbaked

OverBaked

(“But in that day, the branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious; the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of all who survive in Israel.” Isaiah 4:2)

Afraid to grow,
afraid of the hole I fell in,
I feel in the coming storm,
I felt in waking dreams
the souvenirs of failures
two steps behind the falling line.

Save me this time, O Branch with roots firmly grasping
the soil and granite. Reach down to my cannot,
grab me by my frantic, shake the haven’t out of my
narrow range of vision. I will place my feet on
the muddy bank
if you will hold me up;
do not leave me to sink on the shore
swept out to the vast no more,
beyond the cold cold roar where waves
are a distant silence.

My feet are sore, my head, overbaked, is dry
and crumbly,
my mind stumbling over itself; my feet
rebelling the next degree.
I want to run the sand, laugh the wind,
sing the babies, smile the sun even when
the shades are drawn.

I want to feel the blood rushing through me,
heart in tempo and strong, taking life-liquid
to the cells and nerves where the thinking waits
for a bit of refreshment to delete yesterday’s
fuzzy entries. The best brain is a hack when
running the same track deeper into the same
ruts steeper into the hole I fear I fell in when
I felt the coming storm.


I would rather eat an apple or a peach,
the sweet sticky clogging my fingers
reminds me that life that runs through me.
With nectar stuck on my lips and hands,
how can I imagine the Branch has lost the way
of the taste and ways of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.