Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Letter: to honor Him


The Letter:
to honor Him

(“Call on Me in a day of trouble; I will rescue you, and you will honor Me.” Psalm 50:15)

If you receive a letter from me in the near future, please be sure to read it:

I fell asleep last night with a mighty sigh, a desperate breath meant
to reach as high the constant sky and around gravity’s belt. I would
send a letter to the few; confess, weep, reveal, trust, and sign it lengthwise.

Though I know there is more love in one drop of rain than exists in
my vainest imaginations
I am thirsty, more parched than ever. Afraid to share my symptoms
(every conversant writes me their own prescription; honey or vinegar,
medical or organic, physician or magician, prayer or hard work, wake up
or
sleep in)
few just sit and visit me.

Afraid to share my symptoms, I would clarify somewhere mid-letter
that I do not complain lightly and no longer am a novice at pain. It
is
simply that I want a trusted few to know it’s true; I have questions
that stick in my throat. Some have gloated at my uncertainty about
dust mites and universal origins. Some have quoted their favorite
passages to prove who’s banned and what brand of politics Jesus
would buy.

I am surprised. I am sad. I am certain that behind the curtain is
just as much grace
and more
than God has poured
on the heads of the wicked and just here on earth
like He said He would; and should I be asked I’ll swear
to that truth with a mighty Yes and never No.

But I’ll never know why I need to calculate carefully
how to open my own curtain to reveal the sun and fog,
faith and pain
without explaining all over again
that I am still truly assured of my Savior’s love;
But have questioned His methods at times that wind
like high spring streams then meander once I’ve learned His tempo.

Please, if you receive said letter, read it slowly, for I have trusted
only you, and another few with the contents of my dry eyes moist,
my sure faith misty and my vision annoyed by this pain
in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.