Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Working at Peace




“Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord.” Hebrews 12:14
I admit it; most days I am working on showing that I am right. In my business, you have to. I am a pastor, and unless I present true truth to people, I am in danger of filling their minds with toxic thoughts. I also teach drama at the high school. If I am wrong about stage directions, or instruct my students incorrectly about good character development I probably won’t be asked back next year. (No, actually, this is a tiny town. Anyone who raises their hand gets picked. But, you still get my illustration, right?)

So, most of my mornings are spent studying. And I simply don’t study to see how wrong I can be. None of us do. I know what you are thinking, and I see your hand raised. Go ahead, ask your question. “Uhm, sir” “Call me Mark, please.” “Ok, Mark, but you aren’t trying to be right yourself are you? You are simply trying to be as accurate as possible within the framework of your calling.” I smile, and start to accept the young man’s premise until…
“Hey Mark, I’ve got to go to the bathroom.” “No, sit down. You knew how long this class is when we started. You’re not 4 anymore.” It is very difficult running a volunteer drama club. It is often the last thing on the totem pole, both in the structure of the school, and in many of the students’ activities. Excuse me; my earlier student looks like she is in real distress. “Ok, Janica, you can go to the restroom, but hurry back and please don’t interrupt the class again.” She scurries out a wee bit humiliated. I wonder if she will sign up for drama next semester. Well, it doesn’t matter, I really need people who can control their bladders.
As I was saying, I prepare each day to make sure I am right. I might do well to prepare even a bit more than I do. We all are quite appreciative of the mason who sets his line, or the airline pilot who only has water in his glass. They are getting things right, and making life safer and eaiser for the rest of us.
But, with all that preparation, it will never make me right about knowing whether a student truly needs to use the restroom or just wants a way to miss another five to ten minutes of my lecture. We don’t always compartmentalize our minds so well. We are often happy to offer our opinion, and, if anyone tries to discuss and offer a different view, we become offended. After all, we knew what was right.
This innate desire to always be in the know is what often keeps us from having peaceful relationships. We have an opinion, someone else shares a differing view, and we scrunch up our nose as if a skunk had just walked in the room. That makes the other person feel they have not been understood well, so they press their point a bit further, though without contention. Our ears burn because now they are just picking a fight; or so we believe. How could anyone understand what I shared any differently? I would have said it their way, if I believed it their way!
Much peace is lost in the constant attempt to prove how right we are. Usually in situations that have little consequence at all; what size font should the bulletin be, what’s the best restaurant in town, the best music, movie, or political party. So the writer of Hebrews urges us to pay a little attention to how we communicate, and actually work at peaceful relationships.
The connection to working at living a holy life is the part that may surprise us. It sounds like the author is just throwing out two or three final exhortations before he wraps things up. That may be the case. There is nothing in the theory of inspiration that disallows a string of somewhat unrelated encouragements. But, I believe there is a very definite connection between peace and holiness.
I won’t go into detail about the misconception of holiness as people who wear long skirts, don’t see movies, and who disdain both alcohol and tobacco. Holiness is much deeper, and richer than a handful of rules trying to make God like us more. In fact, holiness is what makes us more like God. And there, I believe is the connection.
If God did anything at the cross, He brought peace between Himself and mankind through Jesus’ suffering. And, if we want to characterize it this way; God was always rights, as well. Yet, He is the one who initiated peace, and continues to work at peace through His church. (Yes, I know, we don’t follow orders well at all in this area. Believe me; I am well aware of that fact.)
Holiness doesn’t break up relationships, exclude those who are different, or try to keep clean by staying away from “sinners”. God’s holiness dives right to our sin, bringing us peace through Christ. The same can be said for peace between fellow humans. Jesus also broke down the biggest wall at the time; the wall between Jews and Gentiles.
So, in an effort to work at being holy (because I really do want to see God), I will insist I am right less often, and also give consideration to your views as well. Yes, you can go to the restroom next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.