Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Adrift


“We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.” Hebrews 2:1

Geologists tell us that there was one mega-continent in the early formation of planet Earth. Ever so slowly this giant mass began to splinter along natural fault lines into the land masses we now know. Labeled “continental drift”, it describes the movement of the Earth’s continents relative to each other as they appear to drift across the ocean bed. Today the theory is better explained by “plate tectonics” which better explains the continent’s movement.


Imagine a time machine that would enable us to travel backwards in time to before the continental drift. One of my favorite cities is San Francisco, so let’s enter those coordinates as our destination. I especially like looking across the bay towards Alcatraz and out toward the Pacific Ocean.

So, in a mere moment’s time we are there. (Remember, this is a time machine. My hypothesis is that, if it is a real time machine, then time is no hindrance to it. Therefore it should take “no time” to get anywhere no matter whether it is two minutes or 25 million years ago. And, that’s as far as I get in my science fiction writing, by the way.) The doors open, we step out where Pier 31 should be, and…

Well, the view is more like Kansas than the City by the Bay. We scan the horizon for a hint of ocean and see nothing but land. We climb a nearby hill, approaching the highest peak we can find, stare further west, and still see land and not the slightest clue that this bit of land would ever see anything close to an ocean’s approach.

This drift happened naturally. No machinery was dropped from the sky to wedge the continents apart. As the geological forces acted upon the land masses, they moved apart in response to those forces.
As followers of Jesus, we must be careful to avoid “spiritual drift”. It is true of anything we deem important; if we do not consistently make it part of our lives, we slowly drift away and find what we once called a priority has become only a memory. They say you never forget how to ride a bicycle, for example. But what they don’t tell you is, if you don’t keep up the eight or ten miles a day that you rode when you were in your late twenties, don’t expect to ride the hills when you are 50.

I still have a fine bicycle. It has eighteen gears and glides easily through each one. In fact, it is a much better ride than the old Schwinn I rode during my prime. As nice as it is, it is fairly dusty and difficult to get to in my garage. I still possess the bike, but it doesn’t have as high a place in my heart. I drifted. My riding partner’s work schedule changed, leaving me to ride alone, and within a few weeks I was skipping days, and then a week or two. Finally, I lost my desire, and took up golfing.

Whether I stick with cycling or golf, a musical instrument or cooking may not have a huge effect in my life. Our tastes and interests all change throughout our lifetime. But, if Christ is the reason for all of life. If what we actually experience as we live our few years on earth are directly tied to what sort of faith we have in Him, then drifting could prove catastrophic.

We can very well come the place that what we once experienced as a beautiful scene by the bay has dried up into Midwest flatlands. (Sorry, my Kansas, Nebraska, etc. friends.) We must pay attention throughout to our faith through all our stages of life. Our faith may mature, transform, take on new and different expression over time; but we must never allow it to drift.

It would be like someone enjoying a beautiful sunny day on a huge blue-green lake with crystal waters smooth as glass. There is hardly a whisper of wind. Lathered up with SP5000 sun block, we feel protected from the sun, and may even fall asleep under the summer sky. Imagine waking up two hours later, having drifted so far from land that, on this gigantic lake, all you saw was water. There was no beach to be seen. You drifted so far that you had entirely lost your bearings.

That is what the writer is warning us about. If Christ is truly the Son of God and the entire world was created through and by Him (as the Scriptures say) then He is our landmark for every step we take throughout life. The more we keep our focus on Jesus, the more confidence we have that we are not simply drifting aimlessly through life. Our faith is not a memory, it fills us with purpose.

“Paying attention” is far more than reading the latest Christian bestseller or hyping the top Christian music. It is more than espousing right or left wing values and assigning them as Christian. It is more than nodding during a worship service. It is “paying attention” to Jesus Himself? It is asking myself the question: “What would Jesus be doing if He were living my life today?”

Are you drifting? Have you lost sight of the shore? Have you substituted your own personal opinions for a vibrant relationship with Christ? Though it may occur quite easily, we do not have to feel lost if we find ourselves adrift. The first and most important action is to recognize we have floated along further than we expected, and to change course immediately.

I hope, as beautiful as Jesus is that my heart would never drift from all He has done for me. But, along with all who claim Him as Savior, I must always keep my eyes focused, never assuming that, just because I do religious stuff, that I am as close as ever before. Do you need to correct your course and change your heading back toward Christ today? Remember, He immediately is available the moment we turn toward Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.