Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Of Coffee and God's Kingdom


“For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.” Ephesians 5:5

When we spend all of our time trying to decide who is “in” and who is “out” of heaven, we run a giant risk of interpreting everything in Scripture in that way. So, we turn this passage into a dividing line between who is “saved” and who is not. What if there is the “kingdom of God” means something different than a guaranteed ticket to heaven?


What if I woke up every morning and could not accomplish a thing until I had my favorite coffee? I know we talk that way, but what if it were literally true? I wake up, discover my pantry is empty, and make a mad dash for the grocery store of closest coffee shop. The entire time, showering and getting dressed, all I can think about is that aroma that gets me going, and the taste that seems to make mornings worth it all.

What if it went beyond that? What if, not just to start my day, but every hour of my day was consumed with coffee? When I wasn’t drinking it I would dream about it. I would google “coffee” during my down time, download coffee apps for my smart phone, talk coffee with my 4-year-old granddaughter. “Anika, do you know what the best coffee taste like? Do you want a big, cup of espresso, honey? Papa’s life isn’t complete without this deep dark richness. I know you will learn to love it; no, crave it, like I do.”

Oops, last time I get to Skype with my granddaughter for a while! As liberal as my son and daughter-in-law are, I don’t think they would appreciate Papa plying their daughter with caffeinated beverages, no matter how exquisite.

All I talk about when I get home is coffee. My wife has memorized all my favorite roasts, what I like to drink with each meal and each season of the year. And, if she doesn’t get it right, there is hell to pay! “Don’t’ you know how important coffee is to me!!”

And, let’s assume I’m buying only fair trade brew. There is nothing unethical going on in the production of what I consume. It is that that, I am, well, consumed by the coffee I consume. How good am I for the kingdom of God when coffee is already the master of my thoughts and actions? How fit am I to do much for God at all, given my over-arching cravings for the bitter bean? I can’t possibly act out “kingdom living”, extending my life to areas of justice and mercy, if I am overwhelmed by coffee…regular or decaf!

It is important to see that Paul share three general areas of life that hinder us from being God’s kind of people. He did not do that so we can start deciding what actions come under each heading: immoral, impure, or greedy. In fact, I think they are so broad because that is the last thing he has in mind. He wants us to see that the things that keep us from being kingdom of God people are broad areas of temptation may threaten any of us at any time.

Sexual misdeeds are included under “immorality”, thoughts and actions that don’t live up to what God’s people should represent are described as “impure”, and “greed” pretty much casts a wide net to take in all of us who want what we can’t have instead of being content with what we do have. Any lifestyle that is primarily immoral, impure, or greedy, does not represent God’s kingdom at all.

We miss the boat entirely if we worry about “does this mean I miss heaven.” Don’t we understand we have a much higher calling? Jesus tells us that He is sending us just as the Father sent Him. Jesus didn’t spend His days thinking, “Whew, didn’t do anything to miss up my place in heaven today. That’s good!” He wasn’t a workaholic who excused His lack of spiritual focus with, “You know, a person can’t be spiritual all the time.”

Jesus had a mission. He said, “I do only what I see My Father doing.” Do you understand why these behaviors are so unlike God’s kingdom? It is because they do not resemble the King in the slightest. God, who gave all for us, can never be described as “immoral”. Immorality stems from wanting to quench my own appetite, no matter the consequences.

Our Heavenly Father can never be viewed as “impure”. Every action, every purpose is void of hidden agendas. We know, when we are dealing with Him, that His intentions for us are always pure. He never leads us down a path only to trick us at the end into some deed or plan we never wanted to be a part of. God is transparent in His purposes.

And, greed is the very last thing we would associate with our God. We remember, that God so loved the world that He gave! It is in His sacrifice that we are even able to be a part of His kingdom. Jesus was tortured and died in shame on the cross, an act of perfect giving love. That is entirely contrary to greed.

You see, this list isn’t to make us worry about going to heaven or not. I’m tired of that sort of Christianity. I want to be a part of people who ask, “Does my life look like a “kingdom” life? Is there anything in me that takes away from being seen as part of the kingdom of God? What ways might I improve? What is there that I have simply accepted as part of my life that might actually be considered immoral by God? What impurities have I allowed to remain? What greed drives me to seek things, even with good intentions, that take my focus off God’s plan?

I cannot possibly live out a kingdom life if I am focused on my personal wants and desires. Let’s get beyond whether I’m in heaven or not. Let’s stop finding reasons to suggest that God should or should not let us in. Let’s simply be the kingdom here and now. Let’s be the light set on a hill, and be advocates for peace. Let’s be the salt of the earth and be proponents of justice. Whose kingdom would people assume you belong to? Whose do think assume I belong to? Not because I’m a pastor and talk about the Bible, but simply by observing my actions, what would they know about God’s kingdom?

This verse should cause us to think seriously about these questions. God loves us, and does not desire to have us crawl to Him like puppies who are scared of their master. He wants us to be accountable, honest and open men and women who care more for the kingdom of God than we do our own pleasures or reputations.

One cappuccino please, skinny, and a little wet. But, only one.

3 comments:

  1. I like this poem and your interpretation. As a Southern Baptist who now worships as a Catholic, I understand. My whole family is "Protestant" and I am "Catholic"...both terms that separate. So many words separate. This is why I also love Eckhart Tolle. He tries his best not to use separating words to not only describe, but make us FEEL we are always in God's Presence. But yet the label God is separating to some....oh we are so wounded in our humanity.
    I always read, but I do not always respond. Please know your words put out there are though provoking and valued!!!jr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. McGranor, that is a tiny part of what Jesus said He came to do, and I think you know that. Go read the gospels in one sitting...compare the "division" verses, of which there are only two or three, with the overall theme Jesus iterated about His mission. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.