Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Most Vigorous Shower

"My Most Vigorous Shower"

(“Finally, before entering the camp, the priest must wash his clothes and bathe his body with water; nevertheless, the priest is still unclean till evening.” Numbers 19:7)

Clean once before, cleaner than spring’s electricity
flattering the buds about to bloom. Clean once more,
clean as prewarmed breezes creeping in from the coast.

As clean as I can make me, as squeaky as my skin can be,
it lasts a mere day or less until work buries dirt in my knuckles,
workouts burn the scorched ambiance of gym locker towels.

As refreshed as I may feel, and sight renewed, polished
crystal blue; I find the focus blunted by a single night’s passing.

Ask my loyals and they will joyfully recite my grooming’s best;
ask the suspicious and they will turn my most vigorous shower to
nothingness.

Attempts with soaps and shampoo matter less when friends do not care,
foes will not be convinced,
and I weary of the new fragrances loaded into plastic bottles.

Nevertheless, cleanliness remains such a priority that I devote
prodigious energy promoting my innocence on stage and off.
The smell of the crowd and greasepaint’s roar no longer last
until the next show’s opening. I must mask the evaporation,
dry-clean the costumes and un-act, de-memorize and rewind
my way to more blameless days.

I can’t blame anyone for trying to decide how long it’s been
since I’ve showered and dried; besides, I could blame everyone
for sniffing so long where noses do not belong.

Lately life less simple is clearer. Defenses less elaborate,
ruses unpremeditated. Thinking takes longer, whims whimper
like last night’s campfire, and pretences only make me sad.

With less left to say I reiterate; wash, lather, rinse and repeat.
With less on the line I find One Life that cleaned it all
One Spring
when few were watching. And those who did misinterpreted
how innocent Defendants might be. And those so guilty,
so grimy and left suspended with the Guiltless above the crowd
that everyone could see they belonged there (and me)
discovered (before us all) a blameless spot reserved
in Paradise’s best hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.